• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois injured my back at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Goonie

Illinois...

I injured my back at work on Tuesday. I ended up going to the 24 hour emergency clinic with back pain. Was diagnosed with a lumbar strain but sure hurts like hell.

I went back to work Thursday and was met by the COO (my supervisor) with a smart ass remark about me not being able to play hockey (I play hockey recreationally, but haven't played in over a month.)

I worked through the pain all day (on pain meds), no one asked me how I was doing, not even the president (small company, 50 employees.)

I'm in pretty terrible pain, can't breathe if I move a certain way. Would like to keep on going to work, since my job doesn't require heavy lifting, this accident happened on a duty that I'm required to do about twice a year. But I feel like the management is holding animosity towards me.

What should I do?

Thanks, in advance.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one is required to ask how you are doing.

The first thing you do is file a workers comp claim, if you have not done so already.

Goonie

No one is required to ask how you are doing.

The first thing you do is file a workers comp claim, if you have not done so already.
The medical visit was charged under work status/treatment report, my personal insurance was not charged. Is this the same thing as filing a workmans comp claim? Who do I file that with?

I was given no instruction on how to go about this. I gave the employer copy of the treatment report to my supervisor and that is when he made the hockey remark.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Sounds as if your workers comp carrier is being put on notice.

While the hockey remark isn't necessarily the most professional I've ever heard, it doesn't give you any legal recourse, if that is the question.

ecmst12

Chances are if you rest, you will feel better in a couple of days. If not, some physical therapy might help. Doesn't sound like a major injury, fortunately.

Goonie

Sounds as if your workers comp carrier is being put on notice.

While the hockey remark isn't necessarily the most professional I've ever heard, it doesn't give you any legal recourse, if that is the question.
Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

Chances are if you rest, you will feel better in a couple of days. If not, some physical therapy might help. Doesn't sound like a major injury, fortunately.
I sure hope so. I'm not looking to sue, but everyone's actions towards me since I came back, seem as though I did the wrong thing by going to the clinic for my back pain that happened at work. Should I talk to the president about the remark made by the COO or just lay low until the pain goes away?

ecmst12

I think it's not worth worrying about. If you don't feel better in a few days, go back to the doctor and ask about PT; work doesn't need to be directly involved in your care or recovery, at least as long as you can keep going to work. If you demonstrate that your performance won't be affected, I'm sure everyone will get over it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">