• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Impairment Rating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

seven9311

What is the name of your state?MS

I injured my back on the job and my doctor said that there was no need to receive surgery. I was sent to get an impairment rating and I received a rating of 5%. How much money am I entitled to receive with a 5% rating? :confused:

seven9311

BlondiePB

Without an attorney and another evaluation, not much. That's a very low impairment rating. How about going for a free consultation with a w/c attorney?

Last edited:

ellencee

I injured my back on the job and my doctor said that there was no need to receive surgery. I was sent to get an impairment rating and I received a rating of 5%. How much money am I entitled to receive with a 5% rating?
The 5% rating refers to the difference in earning ability before the injury and earning ability after the injury. With a 5% rating, you are expected to be able to earn 5% less than before the injury at the same job or similar job. Depending on whether this is a permanent partial disability or a temporary partial disabilty rating, the number of weeks for which you are entitled to receive benefits varies; the maximum number of weeks is 450. I didn't find any loss of body part(s) that went the full 450 weeks; so, I would expect your eligibility limit to be much less. The maximum weekly wage allowed was $361, if I recall the information correctly, and that is for loss of full time wages, not for 5% of wages. It is possible that you are looking at a total compensation for the 5% rating somewhere around $1800 (based on 100 weeks eligibility).

A consultation with a WC attorney is a good idea. Mississippi allows the attorney to collect up to 25% of any payment that you receive if the attorney represents you in your WC claim. The attorney could probably provide you with a fairly exact computation of the amount of benefits that you will receive.

EC

Last edited:

BlondiePB

Sorry, I do not. You can click Find a Lawyer at the top of the page and use your local phone book. Please find an attorney that does w/c only and no TV lawyers (do a search on TV lawyers on site and you'll find info). An attorney may recommend another evaluation of your rating which is not at all a bad idea. Good luck!!

dtown7

speaking from experience

The impairment rating is based on the body as a whole. Receiving a 5% is just saying that is how much you are impaired based on your entire body due to that specific injury. You have to be almost paralyzed to get a high rating or have loss of limb. It is a specific caculation that they use to determine the amount that you will be paid. Which is paid in weekly checks. You can call the local Work Comp Commission to get the formula. The formula might be similar to the one here in Texas. This is just to give an example of the way it's calculated here. I got an 11%. They took the 11% X's 3=33. Which is the number of weeks for me to receive a check. The maximum is $378 a wk here in Texas so.
$378 X' s33=$12,474. Which is what I got. They base tha amount of the weekly check on your wage or the state's maximum limit which ever is lowest. In order for you to get a higher impairment rating you have to submit a dispute within a certain time frame. Then you/lawyer/doctor would have to show just cause why it should be higher. You have to have a great deal of medical proof. They might also have a DR chosen by the Commission to rate you as well. It's not so easy to dispute impairment ratings. Check to make sure you haven't missed the deadline to file the dispute.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">