• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incedent report?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Viol8r

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Something popped then tingled in my elbow when I was reaching for something at work. I let a manager know, and she told me to get an ace bandage. Two weeks later my manager, that was walking with the other manager I spoke to about what happened, asked me to do that same function. I told them my elbow still hurt from the last time I did that. (2 1/2 weeks ago) My manager said I needed to fill out an incedent report.(That was last Friday). I went to get that done today, and noticed the verbage statting that I don't hold them liable. The security officer stated by me signing I'm not asking for him to call someone for immediate help, or emt transportation. I didn't sign it, and made an appointment with my dr. this Friday. Wouldn't this be considered workers comp? Is that how I should have handled it?

HomeGuru

Something popped then tingled in my elbow when I was reaching for something at work. I let a manager know, and she told me to get an ace bandage. Two weeks later my manager, that was walking with the other manager I spoke to about what happened, asked me to do that same function. I told them my elbow still hurt from the last time I did that. (2 1/2 weeks ago) My manager said I needed to fill out an incedent report.(That was last Friday). I went to get that done today, and noticed the verbage statting that I don't hold them liable. The security officer stated by me signing I'm not asking for him to call someone for immediate help, or emt transportation. I didn't sign it, and made an appointment with my dr. this Friday. Wouldn't this be considered workers comp? Is that how I should have handled it?

**A: no, filing out an incident report is not considered workman's comp.

pattytx

If it is determined that the injury was caused by work, then you have an issue. Not everything that happens at work was caused by work.

Viol8r

(homeguru) I was talking about the injury that took place at work. If so, then by signing that, makes it sound like Blue Cross Blue Shield (employer) will not have to pay for my time away from work or any dr. bills associated with the injury... Right?

ediemurphin

Record of injury

I told them my elbow still hurt from the last time I did that. (2 1/2 weeks ago) My manager said I needed to fill out an incedent report.(That was last Friday). I went to get that done today, and noticed the verbage statting that I don't hold them liable. The security officer stated by me signing I'm not asking for him to call someone for immediate help, or emt transportation. I didn't sign it, and made an appointment with my dr. this Friday. Wouldn't this be considered workers comp? Is that how I should have handled it?
You complete an incident report to document when and where you had an injury. I am not sure why you had a problem with the security officer telling you that signing it released him/her from calling for immediate help. You injured your elbow two weeks ago.

I also don't get why you think signing the report of your injury at work would release your employer from paying claims for medical treatment?

Last edited:

Viol8r

You complete an incident report to document when and where you had an injury. I am not sure why you had a problem with the security officer telling you that signing it released him/her from calling for immediate help. You injured your elbow two weeks ago.
Only cause it stated It would release BCBSFL and/or security from any treatment and/or emt transport

I also don't get why you think signing the report of your injury at week would release your employer from paying claims for medical treatment?
Only cause it stated It would release BCBSFL and/or security from any treatment and/or emt transport

pattytx

It might have meant emergency treatment, but if it didn't say that specifically, it wasn't worded terribly well. The fact that it mentioned emergency transport implies that is, in fact, what might have been intended.

ediemurphin

Osha

An incident report is required by OSHA to help your employer document the safety of your workplace. I can’t guess what the IR your safety officer presented to you stated. But briefly they are required to be completed with 7 days of a work place injury and if you refuse to sign it, your employer is not liable.

You also have a report that was completed 12 days after you reported your injury, which you refused to sign. You’ll say "I didn’t understand" and your employer may ask if you receive an employee handbook?

If this injury is ongoing, you have no document this injury happened at work. Therefore, IF you do have a worker’s compensation issue, you’ll have a difficult time convincing anyone it happened at work.

csi7

Your manager should have filled out an incident report when you were sent to get an ace bandage.

The fact that the incident report is being filed after the fact is to be put in the details of the report.

The ace bandage is part of the first aid kit and should have an inventory number, place to sign that item was removed from first aid kit, and who to report the item replacement request.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">