• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured during blood donation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patty13

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
I donated blood at an employee sponsored blood drive and was injured by an inexperienced phlebotomist. I immediately informed her that she was hurting me but she continued to move the needle all around and try to finish the donation. Immediately following the donation and every day since I have been in constant pain. I was diagnosed with superficial thrombophlebitis. I think it might be even more severe than that. I think they may have nicked my nerve. I do not know what recourse I have to recoup the 4 days of work I have missed over this incident. Is it a workman's comp case or is it a American Red Cross case. I have reported the incident to both parties but both parties do not seem to care that I am injured and can't perform my job.
What can I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

las365

I assume you meant it was an employer-sponsored blood drive. Did your employer require you to donate blood? Workers compensation is intended to cover injuries that occur in the course and scope of your employment. I don't think this incident would be covered, but I suppose under an extremely generous interpretation, it could.

What are your symptoms? Who diagnosed superficial thrombophlebitis? What were you told is your prognosis? Missing four days of work seems a little extreme for this kind of injury. How much are your medical bills?

How do you know the phlebotomist was inexperienced? Was anyone else injured?

NLW

Even if this case were covered under workers' compensation (which we would need answers to the questions posted by las365 to determine), you would not be compensated for the 4 days you've missed from work. Under NJ workers' compensation law, the first 7 days of disability are not paid unless you miss a total of 8 or more days.

It is unclear to me why you would not be able to work. Has a doctor taken you off of work?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">