• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured at work. Boss has no worker comp.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Philo Beddoe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

Last September I worked for a painting contractor and had a ladder collapse with me on it. I crushed my heel and had to have surgery and a plate and 12 screws were placed into my foot. That amounted to about $52,000. Recently that foot became infected as a result of the surgery and THIS bill is around $90,000.

Now.....when I took the job, we agreed that I would work a couple weeks so he could see how well I could paint and whatnot. He paid me hourly, I used his tools, he set the hours and told us what to do on the job site. We never filled out any paperwork or anything. I assume he will try to say that I was a sub-contractor. However, from what I've gathered, if I worked with him the way that I just described, I'd be considered an employee. HE DOES NOT CARRY WORKMANS COMP INSURANCE. He only has 1 other guy working for him and he's not incorporated but he owns a couple homes, vehicles and I know he has a decent amount of money in the bank. I am completely broke now and in danger of losing my home, vehicles, etc. due to me not being able to work. My question is....what should I do???? What CAN I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">