• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injured at work, can i sue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

paul56

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? new jersey!

I work for a bottling co,
A machine malfunction, i went to help unjam the problem.

I was using a prybar at work,the prybar slipped and i fell on an empty pallet that had some broken glass on it. I recieved six stitches.(the right hand lower left palm) then they x rayed it in the er. they found three small pieces of glass. I had to wait a week before the glass was removed by a plastic surgen of my choice,(he did a better job of sewing it up).there's no problem with workmens comp so far. I had to use 2 days of my PTO. They put me on modified duty for the time being. THE BIG question is, can i sue for pain&suffering?

P

paul56

thanks, i checked with a friend that works for a w/c co. he said it would not be worth the time to sue for neg. and the injury was not bad enough.

ellencee

thanks, i checked with a friend that works for a w/c co. he said it would not be worth the time to sue for neg. and the injury was not bad enough.
You may want to inform your friend that works for a w/c co. that the LAW states an employee can not sue his or her employer for pain and suffering; as cbg stated, workers comp is the SOLE remedy.

EC

P

paul56

not even for negligent, because the machine malfunctioned ?????

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. Not even for negligence, because the machine malfunctioned.

You CANNOT sue your employer in a workers comp situation. That's the flip side of the coin. If it's work-related, they HAVE to pay; that's what the law gives you. But the flip side is, you CAN'T sue. That's what the law gives them.

Give it up, Paul. No lawsuit.

P

paul56

thanks for your time, and thanks for your last line,(give it up paul).
it gave me a good laugh...it really did!
thanks for everyones help. Paul

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">