• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury requiring surgery w/no workman's comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Prettishield

I started work for a company in Prattville, Al building church furniture about 2-3 months ago along with my daughter. This company has 11 more employees and they run a wood business building church furniture. They operate large saws and drills. I had a piece of wood along with my hand snatched into a radial arm saw due mainly to the fact that there was no guard on this piece of equipment and the guide on the back of the table broke on the last piece of wood cut and was pulled back in place by hand. I was taken to the hospital ER by my superviser who was standing at my side when the accident happened. They repaired a tendon in my hand and stitched me up. 2 Weeks later I had to have surgery on my hand and have 2 tendons repaired. The surgeon has since stated that I will have a permanent disability. In the mean time I find out the company has no workmans comp ins and have removed me from the payroll. I have Dr's orders in writing to the employer that I am not to use my arm for any reason at all until futher notice due to me being in a brace to keep from any motion to the damaged tendons.(What can anyone do in a wookworking shop with one arm?) Still the employer wants me to go there everyday and sit. This I am doing when I am not at the Dr's office or being fitted with a new brace.Still I have not gotten any money in 2 weeks because the company has taken me off payroll and requested my superviser to pay me, this I advised him not to do or he could be held liable for me. This injury happened 4 weeks ago and the Dr said I will be out of work at least 6-10 more weeks.
I have found out the man who owns the company also has a second company he is operating this company under also. Still he said he is filing Chapter 13 now.
If anyone has any advice for me please respond.
Thanks so much, Carolann

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">