• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Injury from work.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChristopherB

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I work for company that is contracted out to deliver goods to all the StarBucks Coffee shops in the Bay Area. I was making a delivery to a starbucks and was putting milk in the refrigerator on the top shelf and I had moved one row of milk which is four jugs of milk over to the left of the refer when one of the jugs touched a broken light bulb and the electricity traveled through the milk jug into my right hand, arm, shoulder, and into my back, and the fillings in my mouth fell out from this. Im in alot of pain and the workmens comp doctor that I had seen after this had happened asked me how much pain I was in and if I could lift my arm. I told him alot of pain can't even feel my hand right know, so he takes my arm and jurks it straight over my head. I told him that it hurts as he is doing this and its like he didn't care. I asked the workers comp insurence to be moved to different doctor and now its been three weeks and have not heard back from the insurence company or the doctors. I need to know what should I do Next because I have two little boys I have to take care of and im not getting any help from the doctors or the workers comp insurence people at all. This injury happened on 2-26-12. Any information on how to handle this will be great. Thanks

canhelp

if the employer uses Medical Provider Network, they will not pay for outside treatment.
if they use an MPN, you can switch to any doctor within the network at any time.
many carriers have the list online.
if yours doesn't, contact your employer, they may have one.
you can also look up to see if the carrier is using an authorized MPN here
DWC Medical provider network

you can also get help from your local I&A officer
DWC Information and Assistance Unit

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I work for company that is contracted out to deliver goods to all the StarBucks Coffee shops in the Bay Area. I was making a delivery to a starbucks and was putting milk in the refrigerator on the top shelf and I had moved one row of milk which is four jugs of milk over to the left of the refer when one of the jugs touched a broken light bulb and the electricity traveled through the milk jug into my right hand, arm, shoulder, and into my back, and the fillings in my mouth fell out from this. Im in alot of pain and the workmens comp doctor that I had seen after this had happened asked me how much pain I was in and if I could lift my arm. I told him alot of pain can't even feel my hand right know, so he takes my arm and jurks it straight over my head. I told him that it hurts as he is doing this and its like he didn't care. I asked the workers comp insurence to be moved to different doctor and now its been three weeks and have not heard back from the insurence company or the doctors. I need to know what should I do Next because I have two little boys I have to take care of and im not getting any help from the doctors or the workers comp insurence people at all. This injury happened on 2-26-12. Any information on how to handle this will be great. Thanks
Contact the Insurance Company and ask them why it has been 3 weeks since a follow up on your injuries. If they don't respond by scheduling you for an apointment, get a lawyer, who will make sure you get to the right doctors in a timely manner.

justalayman

Your fillings fell out? Seriously? I know quite a few people that have experienced shocks, some mild, some severe enough to cause them to lose body parts and even know one person that was electrocuted and then resuscitated yet none of them have ever spoken of losing fillings. I cannot see any reason one would lose fillings due to being shocked.

The problem with being shocked is; it can cause a lot of various problems but many of them cannot be truly diagnosed by doctor performing a superficial inspection of the patient. It can literally cook tissue. It can cause damage to nerves and bone that is impossible to "see". Much of what is diagnosed is simply due to the patients description of the symptoms.

the good news and the bad news about many of the injuries that cannot be diagnosed by seeing the injury:

not treating them won't generally cause you additional injury

that is because there is nothing they can do for much of that type of injury.

If you are still in pain there is a problem whether it be something the doctors can see on some imaging system or some injury that simply cannot be seen is something your doctors will have to figure out.

Not that I am one to advocate suing people or companies unless there is a really good reason to, I would suggest you also speak with a lawyer. One thing that jumps to mind is product design liability. If it is that easy to do what happened, there is a problem that should be taken care of through proper engineering. A lesser possibility is Starbuck's may have some liability here for failing to maintain their equipment.

Last edited:
W

Willlyjo

Your fillings fell out? Seriously? I know quite a few people that have experienced shocks, some mild, some severe enough to cause them to lose body parts and even know one person that was electrocuted and then resuscitated yet none of them have ever spoken of losing fillings. I cannot see any reason one would lose fillings due to being shocked.

The problem with being shocked is; it can cause a lot of various problems but many of them cannot be truly diagnosed by doctor performing a superficial inspection of the patient. It can literally cook tissue. It can cause damage to nerves and bone that is impossible to "see". Much of what is diagnosed is simply due to the patients description of the symptoms.

the good news and the bad news about many of the injuries that cannot be diagnosed by seeing the injury:

not treating them won't generally cause you additional injury

that is because there is nothing they can do for much of that type of injury.

If you are still in pain there is a problem whether it be something the doctors can see on some imaging system or some injury that simply cannot be seen is something your doctors will have to figure out.

Not that I am one to advocate suing people or companies unless there is a really good reason to, I would suggest you also speak with a lawyer. One thing that jumps to mind is product design liability. If it is that easy to do what happened, there is a problem that should be taken care of through proper engineering. A lesser possibility is Starbuck's may have some liability here for failing to maintain their equipment.
I agree with what you said in your post, Justy. However, whether the severe shock made his fillings fall out or not, isn't much of an issue as far as other issues caused by the shock. A serious shock such as what the OP experienced can cause all kinds of problems with his neurological system as well as his muscular system. Though he hasn't listed such complaints, he may very well have other less serious complaints regarding physical manifestations created by the severe shock.

I believe it is quite probable that not only does the OP have a Workers Comp. Claim, but he has a 3rd party claim against Starbucks for their negligence.

justalayman

=Willlyjo;3029353] However, whether the severe shock made his fillings fall out or not, isn't much of an issue as far as other issues caused by the shock.
I didn't mean to infer it really made any difference. It was just that I have never heard of such a problem from being shocked and trust me, in my line of work, it is all too common to get shocked or see somebody else get shocked. Like I said, I know a person that was actually electrocuted (and for those that do not understand; electrocution is death by being exposed to electricity) and brought back. The only thing he claimed as a permanent issue was he lost his sense of smell. Actually it wasn't permanent though. When he fell 13 or so feet out of a work basket and landed on his head, when he healed from the death (yes, they had to resuscitate him again) and the concussion, he regained his sense of smell. I know it sounds unbelievable but it is a true situation.

A serious shock such as what the OP experienced can cause all kinds of problems with his neurological system as well as his muscular system.
exactly and that is what I was referring to when referring to injury that is not detectable or quantifiable.

Though he hasn't listed such complaints, he may very well have other less serious complaints regarding physical manifestations created by the severe shock.
if he is in pain after a month, I would suspect something more serious than a simple muscle strain from over tensioning the muscle.

I believe it is quite probable that not only does the OP have a Workers Comp. Claim, but he has a 3rd party claim against Starbucks for their negligence.
not sure about one against Starbucks although it may be possible. I would think the manufacturer of the refer unit could be more easily proven to be liable for the injuries.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">