• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Intimidation when filing a claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perezsw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My father was injured at his job and attempted to report it to his immediate manager, "Tim". The manager called his area-supervisor, "Bob", to get advice on what to do. Bob told Tim to tell my father that he couldn't file a claim with Texas Workers Comp because it's his fault he got hurt because he probably has arthritis.
Father went to a free attorney consultation, who sent him to a doctor and doctor confirmed my dad did have an injury. Father took the diagnosis paperwork to Tim (manager) to show proof of injury. Tim made my dad sign a leave of absence paper but still did not fill out an Incident report and did not proceed with Worker's Comp filing. After learning about this, the attorney sent my dad to collect a copy of that paper to which Tim denied. The attorney then called Bob to advise him that he should release a copy of the paper to his employee and Bob hesitantly agreed. When my dad went back with my mother in company to pick it up, Bob was outside and informed them that he had called the police to make sure and "keep the peace"...whatever that means. Everyone was shocked, embarrased and dumbfounded at this because there was no justification for this but Bob claimed that he received "threatening phone calls" from both the attorney and my dad. Completely false accusations, of course. My father is a humble, quiet man.
Unfortunately after all this, the attorney was unable to accept the case.
I was able to get in contact with their HR dept, has now told me they will proceed with Workers comp filing procedure (it's now 8 days since DOJ) but refused to tell us whether or not Bob would be reprimanded for his hostile and intimidation tactics towards my dad. My sister worked at the same place for a few years and also experienced this type of intimidation by Bob. So now I am wondering how many people he has done this to who valued their job too much that they feared losing it if they proceeded to report an injury. Is there really no way to hold this man legally responsible for, what I consider, violating Employee's Rights and being an downright bully?

davew128

Does it matter? Seriously? Your father stood his ground, defended his rights and got what he was entitled to. Anything else is honestly, NOYB.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">