• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jacket Damaged by Space Heater at Work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pranaman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I work part time in Santa Monica, CA, at an outdoor kiosk. It is owned by Provenzano Resources, Inc. (PRI) and the company I work for rents one from them.

PRI provides a space heater, as it gets cool in the evening. We are not allowed to put it on the ground. I placed it on a slide-out surface, about 3 1/2 feet up, which slides out like a drawer. It's about the only place to put it.

I wore a ski jacket, as it was cold and rainy. On 2 occasions I got too close, by leaning over it to use our laptop, which we use to ring up sales, and another I do not recall. In doing so, my jacket was melted above the waistline in several places.

The kiosk manager stated he will not do anything. I told my manager, but have not pressed her to follow through.

I think one of them should replace my jacket. Would PRI or my company be responsible?

Last edited:

TigerD

I think one of them should replace my jacket. Would PRI or my company be responsible?
Neither. You were the person wearing the jacket. You were the person operating the space heater. You were the person who did not exercise due care around a hazardous piece of equipment.

The damage is on you.

TD

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">