• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

On Job Injury Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amlbright

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I was out for shoulder surgery for 7 months. I was paid by the workers compensation insurance. For 4 weeks my company paid me "on job injury pay". Now they are saying that they over paid me and are asking for the money back. They are going to deduct it from my paycheck over 10 weeks. Can they do that?

swalsh411

Generally, no, they cannot deduct an overpayment of wages from future wages if the employee does not agree to it. Their remedy would be a civil lawsuit. Please direct them to this DLSE opinion letter: (specifically, the second paragraph on page 3)

http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/opinions/1999-09-22-1.pdf

Having said that, if you were were overpaid and you think they would win in court, you might want to authorize the deduction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">