• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job said they would Terminate Me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craftyprincess

I got hurt on the job. I'm now out on workmen's compensation. I have restrictions and my job will not let me come back to work until I have no restrictions.

They just sent me a letter saying that if the doctor put me on restriction that they will have to administratively terminate me. Two weeks after I received the letter, I went back to the neurologist and he put me on restrictions again.

I have not heard back from my job yet. Can they terminate me while on workmen's compensation?

Thanks.

Denise

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While you cannot be fired BECAUSE you filed a workers comp claim, having filed a workers comp claim is not a guarantee of continued employment.

How long have you been off work? It matters.

craftyprincess

Thanks for responding. I have been out of work since March 31st.

CraftyP

While you cannot be fired BECAUSE you filed a workers comp claim, having filed a workers comp claim is not a guarantee of continued employment.

How long have you been off work? It matters.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Then that raises some other questions.

1.) How long have you worked for this employer?

2.) In the 12 months immediately preceding your accident, had you worked 1,250 hours?

3.) What kind of restrictions did your doctor put you on?

4.) How long before he releases you to unrestricted work?

Don't worry, I'm going somewhere specific with this and I have a specific law in mind. This isn't just random. :)

craftyprincess

Re: Job will Terminate Me

I'm in VA.

I have been with them since November 2010. I worked for them previously for 2 years and came back.

I haven't worked 1,250 hours

No Bending and do not lift anything more than 10 pounds
(On my job I have to lift 50 to 70 pounds sometimes and lots of bending)

My doctor has not released me yet. My next doctor's appointment is on May 31st.

Hope that helps.

Then that raises some other questions.

1.) How long have you worked for this employer?

2.) In the 12 months immediately preceding your accident, had you worked 1,250 hours?

3.) What kind of restrictions did your doctor put you on?

4.) How long before he releases you to unrestricted work?

Don't worry, I'm going somewhere specific with this and I have a specific law in mind. This isn't just random. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">