• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law School student unemployment compensation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jonny33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pa I am a law student and I am collecting unemployment in PA. I was laid off before I was accepted to law school and continued to collect while in school. I am wondering if this is allowed by law since I am available for work, just would have to work with my schedule. I attend full-time and for the most part I am concerned about my character and fitness test. I am wondering if anyone out there knows whether this would be an issue the committee would bring up and if I am doing something wrong by collecting how to remedy it so to not harm my chances of acceptance to the bar. Thank you for your time.

davidmcbeth3

they have changed the rule somewhat ... you may get unemployment & go to school under certain conditions (I forgot what those were) - so contact your office & see

pattytx

It would have to be an approved training program and I very seriously doubt law school would qualify. The idea of receiving UI while attending school is to get you back to work quickly. Law school isn't going to do that.
http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=552117&mode=2

As far as availability goes, the state would look at whether you are looking for work, and could accept a suitable offer for the hours that are "normal" for the type of work you were doing when you were laid off.

I think you have a big problem.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
...and getting bigger as the State will likely require repayment of the improperly collected funds...

CJane

And, according to OG (in another thread), you're not allowed to hold a job during your first year in Law School. And if that's the case, OP is NOT "available for work".

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">