• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Living your life while on workers comp

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

las365

Ask your attorney whether you should be posting details about your case on the internet. Guess what the answer will be?

OHRoadwarrior

Obviously there is a disconnect between your true injuries and the way they are portrayed if you are planning on WW rafting.

justalayman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
I do have a WC attorney. I am looking for unbiased opinions and what the law says can and can't be done.

I was hurt on the job. Tore some muscles in my elbows and hurt my shoulder and later on they find tear in my hand. I have had 2 surgeries on my hand.
I have been doing rehab for 2 years. I have done everything asked by the rehab people and docs. The WC ins company denies almost everything and my atty has to file Petition for Benefits. Its been a living hell and nightmare.

Anyways back in March my light duty restrictions were raised to 25lbs of lifting and the doctor said he would MMI me on my hand on the next appt 6 weeks away. . I have been MMI'd on my elbows/shoulder back in March by a different doctor for my elbows/shoulder.

I had a appt on friday and instead of MMI'ing me he kept me on rehab and made a appt to see him in 6 weeks. Restrictions are the same.

Up till the injuries I was active in playing mens softball and basketball on sundays, bowling , scuba diving etc,. Having a life. I haven't been able to for over 2 yrs now. My son is leaving for college soon and last year we were going whitewater rafting but cancelled it due to this WC stuff. Since being hurt I have put on 25lbs, depressed, angry all the time, and just hate life.

We are suppose to go zip lining this summer and some other stuff. I want to get back to my life. If the things I enjoyed doing do not violate my restrictions can I do them ? Can I live and enjoy my life ? Or am I stuck being a invalid for the most part.

Thanks
Dying more every minute of every day.

I'm tired of the BS from the WC company and the company I work for. They tried to blame the injuries on my softball playing even tho there were witnesses to my accident.
if you are not so injured you were going to go whitewater rafting and only cancelled it due to the WC issue, I guess you really are not injured and should therefor willingly terminate your WC claim.

You seem to be missing the point that the injuries you are claiming have to be real and verifiable. If you are not injured, your claim would be fraudulent.

If you can do the things beyond your limitations without issue, then I would guess you are no longer injured and have no need for WC any longer.

canhelp

get professional counseling for your depression and anger.
don't do anything you said you cannot do.
clear your activities with your doctor.
don't do anything that will be difficult for the carrier to explain to the employer.

Ladyback1

Have you had a Functional Capacity Exam (FCE)? An FCE is usually performed by a Physical Therapist and is sometimes a good indication of what your capabilities and physical limitations are. Have you had an Independent Medical Exam (IME)? An IME by a physician who is not involved in your treatment sometimes provides an objective view of where you are in the process of healing. An IME might also address your depression as part of the work comp claim (and yes, if you've never had depression a years long work comp claim can cause significant depression...)

As a former WC claims examiner I would say that after this long you shouldn't still be in rehab--you should have graduated to a home exercise program. After this long you should be looking at a settlement of some sort so that you can get on with your life.

You really should be talking with your attorney and working toward a definitive plan to conclude your claim. An end to your claim is in the best interest of all parties involved.

(I've seen your type of issue many times--and I do understand)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">