• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loaning friend office - liability for temp workers?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

draco

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I'm leasing an office and have some extra space. A friend of mine asked if he could use it for a project. He needs to digitize some records. He's planning to hire workers from a temp agency for the work (scanning, etc.). Do I face any liability for things like a worker falling, dropping a box of records on their foot, other accidents, etc.?

Thank you.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

I'm leasing an office and have some extra space. A friend of mine asked if he could use it for a project. He needs to digitize some records. He's planning to hire workers from a temp agency for the work (scanning, etc.). Do I face any liability for things like a worker falling, dropping a box of records on their foot, other accidents, etc.?

Thank you.
I don't believe so, at least not under the concept of worker's compensation or liability.

YOU are not the employer - your friend is. He is the one who has hired the temp workers. HE is the one who is liable for any on-the-job injuries.

YOU might be liable as the LL, solely if an injury can be attributed to an issue with the property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">