• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Term Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DavidBranson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

Hello,

I am currently on short term disability. I may have to go onto long term disability. I elected long term disability coverage when I started my job and pay a small premium each month.

Question: My Doctor told my long term disability comes out of social security benefits. Can someone tell me how this works? I am a good 25 years away from collecting traditional social security.

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your doctor is mistaken. Assuming that you are talking about a long term disability policy offered by your employer.

NLW

If you are permanently unable to work due to a disability or medical condition, you can apply for social security disability benefits. These are different that long term disability benefits provided through a private insurance policy. I wonder if your doctor was thinking of these kinds of benefits when he spoke to you?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It also occurred to me after I responded the first time, that the doctor might have been thinking of offsets?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the day comes when you are collecting both SSDI insurance AND from your employer's group policy, the group policy most likely will be offset by the SSDI.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">