• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long Term Insurance Ripping me off! ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

valleyboy814

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
My question involves labor and employment law for the state of:Connecticut
I was an Xray tech at a hospital and I was paying monthly premiums for long term disability insurance through my employer. I became disabled a few years ago due to a work related injury to my back and was being paid $100 monthly by the long term disability insurance company. After 2 back operations, my back is in worse shape now then when my injury occured so I filed for Social Security Disability and was granted that. Now my long term disability insurance company said as soon as SSD starts paying me, they will demand every penny they have already paid me back. This insurance was suppose to cover me until I am 65 years old. I paid their monthly premiums for this insurance for a couple of years before I needed it.
How can they demand their money back?:mad:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Offsets for SSDI are the rule, rather than the exception. Read your policy. I guarantee it tells you this will happen.

Offsets for SSDI are the rule, rather than the exception. Read your policy. I guarantee it tells you this will happen.
The problem is that folks don't ask for the policy itself but are satisfied with the abstract of coverage. Then get "blindsided" with these types of procedures.

I don't think that in this OP's case that it would have changed his actions but he would at least have known what was going to happen.

And luckily, its only a small amount of cash.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And whose fault is it that he didn't read the policy? Or ask for more than the summary?

And whose fault is it that he didn't read the policy? Or ask for more than the summary?
Thats a good question. When I ask for the actual policy from employers or the insurance company they look at me like I am from mars and say that they only have the abstract. Its not until I press them hard do I get the "book".

I don't have an answer...still thinking about the issue.

Thats a good question. When I ask for the actual policy from employers or the insurance company they look at me like I am from mars and say that they only have the abstract. Its not until I press them hard do I get the "book".

If you are blind, can you request they read the entire detailed policy to you?

If you are blind, can you request they read the entire detailed policy to you?
I just spoke to the IRS today about some dividend question with REITs & the person asked me if I wanted her to read the publication to me (all 84 pages) == I declined her offer and read the publication online.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl

I guarantee you, this information is in the SPD, not hidden away in the back of the plan document. It's an integral part of how LTD policies work.

But since even you admit that you get the full document if you press (which is not because of any superior negotiating skills on your part but because they are required by law to give it to you) it's a moot point. The information is available to the poster - he simply didn't read it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">