• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lung illness at work

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

John Dignan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I live in CA but I worked in N.D.

worked on the benzene unit, demo. out 2-3 exchangers with thier piping. also tore out and blinded off several 10'' piping systems with the benzene chemical residue inside the piping that was ''washed out with water'' and that also splashed up onto my lips and all over my nomex suit and my work boots. I was also told to bust out some fire proofing on a vertical support collum at 2 different places on the same support and also on a horizontal support that also had fireproofing. And also worked around a lot of damaged asbestos insulated piping that had great potential of becoming airbourne. I have called and talked to a co-worker AD that I worked with numerous times when these unhealthy dangerous situations arise and he too told me he's coughing up stuff and feels ill. I asked for a respirator at the tool room several times and all they could give me was dusk masks because they didn't have any respirators. On the 17th of May 2010, I went to the on-site refinery doctor to check out my lung problem I.E. wheezing and coughing. He saw that I had cigerattes and listened to my lungs and immediately said that I had emphysema, I quit smoking at that instant and the problem was still there.

Last edited by a moderator:

pattytx

Of course, the problem was still there. Emphysema can be caused 100% by smoking, and quitting for two weeks isn't going to change that.

Now, I'm not saying that you may not have a case, but it definitely is going to be hampered by your smoking history.

I suggest you contact an experienced work comp attorney in your state.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Dignan

i'm only 24 years old and been smokinging for two years if even that i didn't know that can be amoung us young people two

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">