• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Major Health code violations lead to sickness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

roxsox

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I work for a fast food hamburger restaurant. II generally eat there daily. I had recently been sitting in the office with a manager, and saw a note hanging up that says "All managers -- please use all buns -- even expired ones. Any questions, please call ****, since this is from him". the *** represents the District Manager's name. This was on monday.

So, the restaurant is serving expired buns due to instruction from the DM. Wednesday, I was working in the kitchen, and saw two men bring back chicken sandwiches. After finishing my orders, I found out what happened... the buns were moldy.

The manager on duty (assistant manager) took pictures of each of the buns, dated and timed them. (Poloroid pics). She then called the store manager. The store manager told her to check each bun before they go out to check for visible signs of mold, and discard that individual bun.

After the phone conversation, the store manager told one of the crew members to throw away the pictures of the moldy buns. I had acquired them, however. Also, on that day, the sign about using expired buns had mysteriously dissapeared.

Now, this is not the only health code violation the store has, but it is the most relevant to my situation.

Wednesday, the day that moldy buns had been discovered, I had eaten a sandwich. I did not prepare the sandwich, I ordered from the other side of the counter. Later, after the moldy bun incident, I had checked the expiration date on the buns (the type that I had eaten), and they were one day expired. The chicken buns that were being used were sixteen days old.

Now, the real situation. I'm allergic to mold, and tonight (Thursday night) I am feeling allergy like symptoms, such as itchy eyes, stuffy/runny nose, itchy throat, sneezing, coughing, shortness of breath, etc. I beleive that this allergic reaction is due to my workplace. After finding out about the moldy buns, I did not eat anything else from that restaurant.

Now, if I must go to the hospital, or if I lose time from work, should the restaurant compensate me? Also, do I have to get the board of health to go in and do a thourough inspection in order to claim any damages? I have employee witnesses, along with a photocopy of the note ordering to use expired buns, and the two photos. I assume I need to get proof of damages from a doctor/hospital.

I do plan on calling the board of health on this place, as it is nasty.

Now, the reason WHY they use expired buns:
The bun company orders the buns for the restaurant. The bun company orders too much (as of now, there is over 4500 buns in the store. The chicken buns are 16 days old. The bun company refuses to credit the store for the excess buns. Therefore, the the district manager told us to use the buns to prevent loss of profit.

What sort of claims do I have for myself, and others?

HomeGuru

roxsox said:
What is the name of your state? Indiana

I work for a fast food hamburger restaurant. II generally eat there daily. I had recently been sitting in the office with a manager, and saw a note hanging up that says "All managers -- please use all buns -- even expired ones. Any questions, please call ****, since this is from him". the *** represents the District Manager's name. This was on monday.

So, the restaurant is serving expired buns due to instruction from the DM. Wednesday, I was working in the kitchen, and saw two men bring back chicken sandwiches. After finishing my orders, I found out what happened... the buns were moldy.

The manager on duty (assistant manager) took pictures of each of the buns, dated and timed them. (Poloroid pics). She then called the store manager. The store manager told her to check each bun before they go out to check for visible signs of mold, and discard that individual bun.

After the phone conversation, the store manager told one of the crew members to throw away the pictures of the moldy buns. I had acquired them, however. Also, on that day, the sign about using expired buns had mysteriously dissapeared.

Now, this is not the only health code violation the store has, but it is the most relevant to my situation.

Wednesday, the day that moldy buns had been discovered, I had eaten a sandwich. I did not prepare the sandwich, I ordered from the other side of the counter. Later, after the moldy bun incident, I had checked the expiration date on the buns (the type that I had eaten), and they were one day expired. The chicken buns that were being used were sixteen days old.

Now, the real situation. I'm allergic to mold, and tonight (Thursday night) I am feeling allergy like symptoms, such as itchy eyes, stuffy/runny nose, itchy throat, sneezing, coughing, shortness of breath, etc. I beleive that this allergic reaction is due to my workplace. After finding out about the moldy buns, I did not eat anything else from that restaurant.

Now, if I must go to the hospital, or if I lose time from work, should the restaurant compensate me? Also, do I have to get the board of health to go in and do a thourough inspection in order to claim any damages? I have employee witnesses, along with a photocopy of the note ordering to use expired buns, and the two photos. I assume I need to get proof of damages from a doctor/hospital.

I do plan on calling the board of health on this place, as it is nasty.

Now, the reason WHY they use expired buns:
The bun company orders the buns for the restaurant. The bun company orders too much (as of now, there is over 4500 buns in the store. The chicken buns are 16 days old. The bun company refuses to credit the store for the excess buns. Therefore, the the district manager told us to use the buns to prevent loss of profit.

What sort of claims do I have for myself, and others?
**A: as of right now you have no claim as you have no damages..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">