• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Management not sharing tips with staff

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

juntjoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl

In my place of work the managers collect the tips given by the takeout customers rather than share them with the workers. A lot of the time the tips are included via credit card transactions which the managers just won't ever pay out to anyone, though in some cases I've learned about a customer will hand a counter person a cash tip which then will be taken from them. And the managers claim they use the money to pay for nightly drawer shortages which I find hard to believe the tips they collect do just that and not create a nice surplus in their pockets, but regardless of that issue I find it hardly justification to keep these tips for one's own interest when I believe the correct assumption is that patrons donate gratuity to benefit the staff as a whole more so than just the management. Anyway, so I'm wondering how legal this is if at all. BTW, I'm not one of these counter people I was writing about, though I work the register a bit. I work as a driver and get my share of tips on the road, but would like to give any tips I ever receive to the workers "in-shop" and hate to see this unfair practice that apparently all managers perpetrate. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I made my best guess as to where this should go. Thanks

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl

In my place of work the managers collect the tips given by the takeout customers rather than share them with the workers. A lot of the time the tips are included via credit card transactions which the managers just won't ever pay out to anyone, though in some cases I've learned about a customer will hand a counter person a cash tip which then will be taken from them. And the managers claim they use the money to pay for nightly drawer shortages which I find hard to believe the tips they collect do just that and not create a nice surplus in their pockets, but regardless of that issue I find it hardly justification to keep these tips for one's own interest when I believe the correct assumption is that patrons donate gratuity to benefit the staff as a whole more so than just the management. Anyway, so I'm wondering how legal this is if at all. BTW, I'm not one of these counter people I was writing about, though I work the register a bit. I work as a driver and get my share of tips on the road, but would like to give any tips I ever receive to the workers "in-shop" and hate to see this unfair practice that apparently all managers perpetrate. Sorry if this is in the wrong section. I made my best guess as to where this should go. Thanks

Interesting post hx.... :cool:

ecmst12

This has nothing to do with workers comp. There is a section for wage & salary issues so you must not have looked very far.

Florida has no DOL or anyone else to regulate this stuff so even if it was true and you could prove it and you have standing to make a complaint (it doesn't appear you do because your tips are not affected) there isn't anyone you could complain TO. Do all employees make at least state minimum wage?

juntjoo

yes, everyone makes at least min. i actually did see the salaries/wages section and thought i put it there. oops. ill move it...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">