• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Manager insisting on coming into doctors office

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

berylime

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I was injured on the job, and although my company is working with me, my manager has insisted on not only coming to all appointments, but coming into the exam room with me. He connstantly interjects his opinion, and tells the doctor what course of treatment he feels necessary. For example, the doctor told me to come back in one week, after leaving the examination room my manager strongly suggested I make an appointment for 2 days away, to try to get me back into work faster.
My question is, do I have the legal right to ask him to stay outside of the exam room?
thanks for reading
frustrated in ny

There are HEPA laws. Your manager needs to follow them and that includes staying out of your medical business. You have every right to tell him to butt out.

pattytx

If the responder means HIPAA, the employer is not subject. However, the employer also has no right to be present in the room for your doctor's appointments. Tell him and the doctor you don't want him there. Stand up for yourself.

Did the WC carrier assign a Case Manager? If so, speak to him/her also

lealea1005

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I was injured on the job, and although my company is working with me, my manager has insisted on not only coming to all appointments, but coming into the exam room with me. He connstantly interjects his opinion, and tells the doctor what course of treatment he feels necessary. For example, the doctor told me to come back in one week, after leaving the examination room my manager strongly suggested I make an appointment for 2 days away, to try to get me back into work faster.
My question is, do I have the legal right to ask him to stay outside of the exam room?
thanks for reading
frustrated in ny
There is a reason the Physician wants to re-evaluate you in 1 week vs. 2 days after your first visit. Your manager....the one who did not go to medical school...has no business pressuring you into going against the Physician's recommendations.

You have every right to refuse him access to the exam room.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to be clear, workers comp situations are explicitly and by statute exempt from HIPAA.

lealea1005

For all we know they could be married??? And that would have a lot to do with answering the OP's question.
OP would still have to give, and certainly have the right to deny, permission for the spouse to accompany them into the exam room.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">