• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mandated 50-hr week

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

planegeek

What is the name of your state? colorado

my employer schedules/requires all its salaried shift managers to work 10-hr days, 5 days a week. we are not allowed to work anything less. we are each given shifts (i.e. 6am-4pm, 9am-7pm, 3pm-1am). is this legal? i've always understood salary to mean that you get paid for 40 hrs, but sometimes work more. this is different. this is mandating that someone work 50-hr weeks, with no chance of working anything less.

additionally, we are not given break/lunch periods. ducking away to inhale a sandwich is frowned upon.

looking for some help here. do i have anything to work with?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Salaried has no legal status. What counts is whether you are exempt or non-exempt. Your job duties determine which classification you fall in.

If you are exempt, you can be required to work as many hours as it takes to get the job done, and there are NO circumstances where you are legally entitled to anything more than your salary. It is entirely up to the employer whether to offer you any compensation or not over and above your salary. (Hint: Many, many exempt employees work as much as a 60, 70 or 80 hour week for their salaries only.)

If you are non-exempt, you MUST be paid overtime for any hours over 40 that you work in a week. It is not illegal to pay you on a salaried basis when you work 40 hours or less, but OT over 40 hours in a week is required by law.

In either case, it is legal to require a 50 hour week as long as you are paid properly, as described above.

Federal law does not require breaks at all. Colorado law requires a 30 minute meal break within five hours of starting work and a ten minute rest break for every four hours paid FOR EMPLOYEES IN THE RETAIL, COMMERCIAL SUPPORT SERVICES, FOOD AND BEVERAGE, AND HEALTH SERVICES ONLY. If you are in any other industry, state law does not require that you be given any breaks. Also, break laws generally apply to non-exempt employees onlyl.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">