• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical & Health Issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dohcvtecsh73

Aloha,

I live in Honolulu, Hawaii. I work in an office M-F 8am to 5pm. I was wondering:

1) Can my employer legally prevent me from leaving work to see a doctor?

2) Do they have a right to ask for a specific medical reason regarding my need to leave work to see a doctor?

It's Sunday afternoon and I was fortunate enough to get an appointment on Monday morning. In the past my boss would give me a hard time about taking off suggested that I wait til the weekend.:(

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
1.) In general, yes. There are certain limited exceptions; however, you have not provided anything like enough information for us to establish if those exceptions exist.

2.) Yes, at least to a certain extent, and it is to your benefit that he do so. By not providing him with at least some information, you could be cutting yourself off from certain protections that the law provides, but that only have to be provided if the employer has knowledge of the eligible medical conditions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">