• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical history wrongfully disclosed to employer by hospital

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arudd1

my boss received my workers compensation bill, the bill had my health history attached (all my preexisting conditions and my family's medical problems where listed with the bill including my sexual orientation (im homosexual) the hospital staff had taken a black marker and tried to black out my health history but everything was still visible very clearly, my boss showed me the bill with my medical history attached and said that this isn't right. I am NOT okay with it, everything is awkward at work now, what can i do? They had to of known when they sent the bill, the marker was all dried outWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

davidmcbeth3

while HiPAA makes an exception for certain information under state work comp laws it does bar wholesale release.
go here to file a complaint:
How To File a Complaint

your state may also have some restrictions.

I would not even bother with a complaint ... what are they going to do? Nothing...as least not compensate the OP in any meaningful way.

I think the OP wants to know any $$$ could be floating the OP's way.

Even if a civil suit is possible, the $$$ may be five dollars & the OP is left paying thousands in attorney's fees.

canhelp

why are you guessing at what someone else wants with nothing better to offer...?
this is an advice board, please step up with your expertise.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">