• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meneire"s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scrimmy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut
3 years ago I was assaulted by a patient while working as a RN in a Psychiatric
Hospital, the assault resulted in a fractured right molar that was taken care of by workmans comp. Soon thereafter I experienced dizzy spells and sought treatment. Long story short multiple office visits to an ENT and finally evaluated by an Otoneurologist who diagnosed me with Meneire's. The disease was treated effectively with medication until August of this year when I suffered my 1st Drop Attack, this lead to me leaving work 8/25 and I underwent a Labyrenthectomy ( total removal of the inner ear) I will return to work Monday 12/13. The procedure has left me forever stone deaf in the right ear.
Do I have a case ?
The assault was documented by the hospital and a police report filed.

pattytx

What does this have to do with a fractured molar (you can fracture a molar?)? :confused:

Did the tests conclude that your injury caused the disease?

Did you already settle the claim?

scrimmy

The fractured molar was upper right, multiple punches to right ear, Meneire's can be caused by trauma. Never settled the case just had workmans comp pay for the tooth extration.

pattytx

Then contact HR; you may be able to reopen the claim. If they give you a hard time, you will need the advice of a local attorney versed in Worker's Comp issues. However, you will need the doctor's to show that the trauma did, in fact, cause the disease; not just that it may have.

Dave1952

I agree with Ms. PattyTx, this sounds like a worker's comp case. The sudden appearance of these symptoms in close temporal association with a severe attack is pretty suggestive of a traumatic cause.
As an RN did you not raise this issue with regard to the dizzy spells?

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">