• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My case was mediated and a settlement was reached but my lawyer is being shady

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

luckyseven323

Yes, My workers comp and 3rd party case was settled by mediation. I wasn't present because I was at a hearing for my divorce on the same day at a different court house. My lawyer settled for $150,000 and that's fine but he won't show me the settlement draft until I consent to have $30,000 of the money put into an annuity that he insists on having his annuities guy set up for me. Well, I don't like the annuities this guy is presenting me and he isn't giving me any real paperwork on the annuities telling me what it's called or any disclosures. He just wants me to sign an automatic deposit authorization. It all seems shady to me. The case was settled in August, he's sent me a Settlement statement from his firm asking me to sign off on $60,000 in fees and nearly $10,000 in additional costs. And he's saying he can't send me an official Settlement Draft from the defense until I select an annuity. This all seems fishy to me. What can I do?

tranquility

Write your attorney and tell him you want your money, an accounting and no annuity. Give him 10 days to comply or you will explore your legal remedies including a full reporting to the Bar.

If the attorney actually gives you a real explanation, check it out before action.

luckyseven323

I asked my attorney for a settlement draft and breakdown and his assistant got back to me to say that they won't get a settlement draft for me to sign until I decide on the annuity and they send it into the defense. Does that sound right?

tranquility

I asked my attorney for a settlement draft and breakdown and his assistant got back to me to say that they won't get a settlement draft for me to sign until I decide on the annuity and they send it into the defense. Does that sound right?
I have no idea. But, let's try one more time.

Write your attorney and tell him you want your money, an accounting and no annuity. Give him 10 days to comply or you will explore your legal remedies including a full reporting to the Bar.

If the attorney actually gives you a real explanation, check it out before action.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">