• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my empoyer allow to ask for my medical records after an accident at work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matt00

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I had an accident at work where I lost conscience and I fell out of my chair hitting my head (nobody's fault).
An ambulance took me to the ER where they gave me an urine test, blood work, x-ray and cat scan and they released me after few hours.
The next day I was back at work and my supervisor asked me for all the paper they gave me at the hospital (test results and what else).
When I questioned his request, he said that if I didn't give the paper to him, it'd be fine but they'd forget the whole thing, close the worker comp investigation and I'd be on my own.
I felt threatened and I gave all the papers to him.

Was he allowed to request them? Could I have refused?

Thanks

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Um, if this is a workers comp claim that means the employer is paying the bills. What makes you think he/the workers comp carrier would NOT be entitled to the information about the claim?

FYI, HIPAA specifically EXCLUDES workers comp situations.

matt00

Thanks cbg.

Aren't the results from all the tests (blood, urine, x-ray, cat scan) private information?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not in this case. That's what I mean - the HIPAA privacy law specifically and by statute does not apply in workers comp cases.

matt00

They probably want to see if you were under the influence of something.
For that, my supervisor took me to the HQ for a drug test, right after I was released from the hospital.
Don't know if that's completely legal since the doctor that released me, gave me a paper saying "no work today"...but it's their policy.

swalsh411

Doctors notes are not binding on employers. It is entirely legal (and common) to require a drug test after an accident. Of course your employer cannot force you to submit to one but if you refuse you could be legally fired.

matt00

I know, that's why I went for the drug test when I really wanted to go home.
But, what do you mean when you say that doctors notes are not binding on employers?
If a doc says I should rest and not work, can they supersede his advice? On what authority? Sounds strange to me!

swalsh411

We don't have slavery in this country any more. You can always refuse to work. But you can be legally fired and a doctor's note won't protect you.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To clarify:

The only time a doctor's note holds any legal weight is when FMLA is involved - maybe in some situations the ADA. But outside of that, a doctor's note is not legally enforceable and the employer is not bound by law to follow it. Doctor's notes are a dime a dozen and can even be bought off the internet. Just because you have a doctor's note does not mean the employer is legally required to follow it.

LdiJ

To clarify:

The only time a doctor's note holds any legal weight is when FMLA is involved - maybe in some situations the ADA. But outside of that, a doctor's note is not legally enforceable and the employer is not bound by law to follow it. Doctor's notes are a dime a dozen and can even be bought off the internet. Just because you have a doctor's note does not mean the employer is legally required to follow it.
I agree. However, most employers will follow a doctor's note in the best interest of employer/employee relations...and if the employer has an employee handbook, and the handbook references doctor's notes, then that becomes a kind of contact between the employer and employee.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In 30+ years of managing and administering employer policies, procedures, and benefits (and having written more than a few employee handbooks) I have yet to see one that specifies anything regarding doctors' notes beyond the occasional "a doctor's note may/will be requested after an absence of x days or more". NEVER have I seen one that even suggests that a note from a doctor can bind the employer to particular limitations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">