• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My physician is my employer. Workers compensation offered and then taken back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chieftain

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Approximately 2 years ago I started having problems with my neck. I spoke with the doctor I work for about the problem and he tried to treat me. In the next year or so I got worse to the point where I could not do my job. My workload was decreased and I was allowed to work from home. I was referred to a neurologist who is a friend of the doctor I work for. At first he seemed eager to find out what was going on but after a couple of tests my treatment came to a halt. I have no idea why? There was correspondence between the doctor I work for and the neurologist. I was not privy to their conversation.
Due to being unable to do my job I spoke with the physician I work for and he offered to get an attorney who was his patient to take care of a workers compensation claim. A few days later his wife said they could not do that because of the statute of limitations.
I have since sought out a doctor of my own choosing. He diagnosed me quickly with arthritis and damage to C1 and C2 vertebrae. When the doctor I work for found out my diagnosis he immediately increased me to full workload and required me to come to the office (driving is hard when you can't turn your head). I was told of these requirements the day after my first steroid injection. I did what I was told but could not do my job without severe pain which was impeding my progress. He continued to put pressure on me and even implied I was not being honest. I conditionally resigned in lieu of seeing my current doctor in a week.
I am posting more medical details in the malpractice forum. It may not be but there seems to be malpractice in this.
Just wondering what advice anyone has before seeking the advice of an attorney and the labor board

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

Approximately 2 years ago I started having problems with my neck. I spoke with the doctor I work for about the problem and he tried to treat me. In the next year or so I got worse to the point where I could not do my job. My workload was decreased and I was allowed to work from home. I was referred to a neurologist who is a friend of the doctor I work for. At first he seemed eager to find out what was going on but after a couple of tests my treatment came to a halt. I have no idea why? There was correspondence between the doctor I work for and the neurologist. I was not privy to their conversation.
Due to being unable to do my job I spoke with the physician I work for and he offered to get an attorney who was his patient to take care of a workers compensation claim. A few days later his wife said they could not do that because of the statute of limitations.
I have since sought out a doctor of my own choosing. He diagnosed me quickly with arthritis and damage to C1 and C2 vertebrae. When the doctor I work for found out my diagnosis he immediately increased me to full workload and required me to come to the office (driving is hard when you can't turn your head). I was told of these requirements the day after my first steroid injection. I did what I was told but could not do my job without severe pain which was impeding my progress. He continued to put pressure on me and even implied I was not being honest. I conditionally resigned in lieu of seeing my current doctor in a week.
I am posting more medical details in the malpractice forum. It may not be but there seems to be malpractice in this.
Just wondering what advice anyone has before seeking the advice of an attorney and the labor board
Was it determined that your neck problem was work-related?

(you should not repost your question elsewhere on this forum - duplicate threads get deleted)

Chieftain

When I was offered workers compensation by the doctor I work for he made the statement that the condition was caused by my job. If he didn't document it there is no record.

quincy

When I was offered workers compensation by the doctor I work for he made the statement that the condition was caused by my job. If he didn't document it there is no record.
Arthritis can be a tricky basis for a workers compensation claim. In order to be compensated under Georgia workers' compensation laws, the injury must arise out of and in the course of employment, although you can be compensated for an at-work aggravation of a pre-existing condition.

Whether your arthritis was a pre-existing condition that has been aggravated by your employment duties, or whether your arthritis was caused by your employment, must be determined.

For information purposes, here is a link to the Georgia State Board of Workers' Compensation: https://sbwc.georgia.gov/law

And here is a link to the Georgia State Board of Workers' Compensation Employee Handbook (2013): https://sbwc.georgia.gov/sites/sbwc.georgia.gov/files/related_files/site_page/employee_handbook.pdf

I think you are smart to consult with a workers' compensation lawyer in your area. You will require additional medical examinations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">