• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chelserbel

What is the name of your state?TX

My fiance sprained his elbow on the job last Friday and his boss does not carry workmans comp because he has a small company with maybe 10 employees total....does anyone know if he has to pay for the medical bills or time off? :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Texas is one of only two states where workers compensation coverage is optional rather than mandatory. That being the case, while morally he should cover at least the medical bills, I could find nothing on the Texas web site that makes the employer LEGALLY responsible for either medical bills or lost wages if the employer has chosen not to carry w/c coverage. I checked the sections for both employers and employees.

It wouldn't hurt to contact the Texas Workers Compensation Commission just in case I missed something. They will be able to tell you.

S

Shaneqwa

I don't know if this will help or not, but my sister is going thru a injured workers nightmare right now in Texas. Texas employers must let their employees now whether or not they have work comp ins. They can either have posters or have the employee sign a document stating you are aware of there work comp status. This will help you when you go to court, if they did not make him aware of their work comp status. If you contact, TWCC, as we have, they will be of absolutely NO help and quite rude, I might add. You, unfortunately, will probably have to sue your employer to get any help or money for lost wages. You will need a personal injury lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">