• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Never got minimum wage for 5 years as a waiter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ilirblaka13

I have been working at this restaurant for almost 5 years now. I have never been paid from the house like is the 5.00$ per hour here in NYC, i only worked for the tip so sometimes it could be 10$ per day and nobody ever cared if we are making money or not, they never bothered to pay me as a waiter that 5$ per hour, i think i deserve that money and its a really long time. This is one of the violations that they have done, many others follow this one, a lot more. Could anyone tell me, is it worth to sue the restaurant or not. I feel fooled and cheated, or they just probably took advantage of me for being an immigrant, (legal immigrant) .

Proserpina

I have been working at this restaurant for almost 5 years now. I have never been paid from the house like is the 5.00$ per hour here in NYC, i only worked for the tip so sometimes it could be 10$ per day and nobody ever cared if we are making money or not, they never bothered to pay me as a waiter that 5$ per hour, i think i deserve that money and its a really long time. This is one of the violations that they have done, many others follow this one, a lot more. Could anyone tell me, is it worth to sue the restaurant or not. I feel fooled and cheated, or they just probably took advantage of me for being an immigrant, (legal immigrant) .
Go here:

http://www.labor.ny.gov/workerprotection/laborstandards/workprot/minwage.shtm

There is contact info near the bottom.

shanehenry

It's not right but, ...

My wife, ex-wife worked as a waitress for years. Unfortunately, with tip based service jobs employers only have to pay 70% of min. Wage. You are even supposed to add 20% to that on your taxes and the employer DOES deduct it from taxes on your check.
For some reason other jobs that receive tips pay over min. Wage. I used to bartend on the weekends and made $9. Per hour but, I made 100 to 300 bucks a night in tips. I don't know exactly how they get away with it but, it's legal.

Just Blue

My wife, ex-wife worked as a waitress for years. Unfortunately, with tip based service jobs employers only have to pay 70% of min. Wage. You are even supposed to add 20% to that on your taxes and the employer DOES deduct it from taxes on your check.
For some reason other jobs that receive tips pay over min. Wage. I used to bartend on the weekends and made $9. Per hour but, I made 100 to 300 bucks a night in tips. I don't know exactly how they get away with it but, it's legal.
Please do not post to old threads. Pay attention to the date. Thanks!! Blue:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">