• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure if this is right forum to post

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Walker0988

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Yesterday I was at my place of employment, walking outside of building, in rain, to parking garage. This is the only path employees are allowed to walk. Everything was wet--so I did not see that our sidewalk was fresh concrete - not marked--so I stepped right in to it, taking about 4 steps before realizing it, and it was up to my ankles. I got out of the concrete--yelled for the concrete men about a block away, asking why this wasn't marked, they said they would do it. I have witnesses and also another boss almost did the same thing, about 5 minutes before me. My employer apologized and today presented me with a check for $30 to cover the cost of my shoes!! They didn't even ask how much my shoes were worth. This will not cover the cost, but I find it wierd they were so quick to present this to me. I will not cash check, I am just wondering my rights, or what I should do. I work at a hospital, so I am sure if it were a patient or doctor, much more would have been done.

Note: When I entered the building in the morning, there WAS a sidewalk there, but during my work hours they had a back hoe pull the old sidewalk out and a fresh one was poured.

I did yell at the concrete men, and found out later they were in a hurry to get to the next job.

I know you think I am an idiot, but I have been there for 21 years in the Administration Office, and something like this has never happened to me before.

Yes, depreciation I have heard of, but not THAT much on some new shoes.

Last edited:

justalayman

They didn't even ask how much my shoes were worth.
$30 should pay to clean them

What you should have done is yelled at the concrete guy and called him an idiot for exposing fresh, and especially still fluid, concrete to the rain. That's a huge no-no and likely a cause for premature failure of the surface layer.

Yesterday I was at my place of employment, walking outside of building, in rain, to parking garage. This is the only path employees are allowed to walk
, if it took you 4 steps to realize you were walking in wet concrete where there was no concrete before, you might want to start paying attention to your surroundings. If this is your only path into and out of work, that means you walked that path earlier in the day. Did you not notice there was no concrete there when you walked in and bang, when you left there was?

there are just so many problems with this situation but your employer is the least of all the problems.

pattytx

This isn't a Worker's Comp issue because you were not injured. Although I agree the sidewalk should have been marked, I think you're getting off pretty good with a $30 reimbursement for your ruined shoes. After all, there is such a thing as depreciation.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

Yesterday I was at my place of employment, walking outside of building, in rain, to parking garage. This is the only path employees are allowed to walk. Everything was wet--so I did not see that our sidewalk was fresh concrete - not marked--so I stepped right in to it, taking about 4 steps before realizing it, and it was up to my ankles. I got out of the concrete--yelled for the concrete men about a block away, asking why this wasn't marked, they said they would do it. I have witnesses and also another boss almost did the same thing, about 5 minutes before me. My employer apologized and today presented me with a check for $30 to cover the cost of my shoes!! They didn't even ask how much my shoes were worth. This will not cover the cost, but I find it wierd they were so quick to present this to me. I will not cash check, I am just wondering my rights, or what I should do. I work at a hospital, so I am sure if it were a patient or doctor, much more would have been done.
Thanks for your help,What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
So ask for the value of your shoes, and graciously say thank you when you get the check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">