• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NYC Sanitation Dept Disability Fraud?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mariajb

NY

I know a man, age 47, who worked for the NYC Sanitation Dept picking up cans for 17 years, until he was injured last October 2003. He slipped and fell and ripped a tendon in his arm while picking up a can.

He has had an operation and still doesn't have full use of his arm, from the looks of things.

NYC is self-insured so they pay full pay for as long as he is off the job for his injury. It looks like a regular paycheck with base pay. Or at least that's the way it used to be unless they changed it?????

Would they have retired him in a year or does the City typically wait longer to put an injured worker on a disability pension?

Is working at another full time (office) job illegal and fraud in this case or does NYC make exceptions for some people because of finances of the injured worker?

Thank you for reading

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mariajb said:
NY

I know a man, age 47, who worked for the NYC Sanitation Dept picking up cans for 17 years, until he was injured last October 2003. He slipped and fell and ripped a tendon in his arm while picking up a can.

He has had an operation and still doesn't have full use of his arm, from the looks of things.

NYC is self-insured so they pay full pay for as long as he is off the job for his injury. It looks like a regular paycheck with base pay. Or at least that's the way it used to be unless they changed it?????

Would they have retired him in a year or does the City typically wait longer to put an injured worker on a disability pension?

Is working at another full time (office) job illegal and fraud in this case or does NYC make exceptions for some people because of finances of the injured worker?

Thank you for reading

My response:

Isn't it funny how we're able to find out the whole truth about you and your situation on someone else's thread?

IAAL

Today, 07:22 PM
mariajb
Junior Member Join Date: Nov 2004

Ex Plays The System Too

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in much the same dilemna as far as turning someone in for fraud.

I have an ex who worked for the NYC Sanitation Dept actively until he slipped and fell and ripped a tendon. Ex has been out of work for a year now and 17 years in on the job.

Thing is, he goes to a real estate office, and has been for the last 9 months, working a second job while he collects full pay from the Sanitation Dept.

This is called fraud, the upstanding person that he is, and that's one reason he likes kids with him, he is a good example for them (ahem).

It would be wrong for me to turn him in because there are 4 kids who he is a father to, 2 mine and 2 with the new wife. And it would decimate him financially and he would lose a pension he worked 17 years for picking up garbage cans.

And I am not squeaky clean either in the past, so to turn someone else in just to get rid of them would be hypocritical. And bottom line I'm hurting the father of my children and they love him too.

That's not to say at times when he is really aggravating me and insisting my kids live with him, I think how I can possibly take his whole pension away and he would probably have to make restitution. It would ruin him, I know it would, or come very close to it.

Unless the NYC Sanitation changed the rules???

So right now I do nothing, hoping I don't have to defend myself and the kids from his attacks, both physical and verbal, as well as trying to ruin me financially.....anymore.

M

mariajb

Response to IAAL

I asked questions here about fraud, not your opinion on what you are and aren't fidning out.

I've read some of your negative posts, already have your number.

Say something informative and constructive or keep it to yourself.

This is a legal advice forum, not one for your moral opinions.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

mariajb said:
I asked questions here about fraud, not your opinion on what you are and aren't fidning out.

My response:

mariajb said:
"And I am not squeaky clean either in the past, so to turn someone else in just to get rid of them would be hypocritical."
Enough said.

IAAL

M

mariajb

Sometimes....

You gotta do what you gotta do....you as an attorney should understand that and I am sure you have done what you had to do many a time to win a case.

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I'll repost so that my thread can be clean from moral judgements and I can get advice rather than baloney I didn't request.

Enough said.

tjr5150

i'll say something your right this is a legal advice forum to answer your questions... again questions, that does not include telling everybody that your ex is comitting fraud...

M

mariajb

Sigh

it's anonymous for chrissakes, whats the difference?

and if anyone reads the situation and had half a brain they'd figure it was probably fraud anyway.

some people have nothing better to do

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">