• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ongoing Injury - Being Treated - Working - All is good - But...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gerald_71

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV

I was injured a few years ago by falling from a platform. It was due to neglect on my employer. But I never retaliated on that part. I simply filed comp and have been treated since.

My injury has gotten worse and I was referred to a pain management doctor. He set me up with a combination of pain meds and NSAIDS.

Tramadol and Tizanidine are the 2 I am on that I want to question. They help tremendously. I was originally prescribed 4 a day. I quickly found out that that would not work at all and ask to allow me to take them PRN. Now I'm prescribe one each at night. It effects me. I am on one now and have issues typing this well.

So here is the kicker...I drive a company vehicle. Every couple of weeks I am required to be on-call. This may entail me getting called out and driving somewhere. In the night or after normal work hours. During this time I abstain from everything except Motrin. The downside, is I am in such pain and miserable for this one week at a time. The duty is getting more and more difficult to not take my prescription as needed to cope with the pain.

Other than the on-call, I am able to perform my duties to 100%. But at the end of the day I am hurting and need some relief. Only thing is when on-call I can't take anything.

I am interested as what my options and rights are? Should I tell my supervisor about the medications and that I am not supposed to operate machinery after taking it? Or just not take it and continue what I am doing and be in misery.

My doctor says I should go ahead and take the meds and be I'd be fine. But I'm sure the company wouldn't see it the same way and under state code I could be cited a DUI.

I hope to find some useful advice. Do dome ADA rules come into play if I request an accommodation? I want to work, But I didn't ask to get hurt. I did ask to fix the issue prior to getting hurt, but it was too late.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No one here can say for certain whether the ADA applies.

I assume that the accommodation you would be requesting is not to have to be on-call?

Gerald_71

No one here can say for certain whether the ADA applies.

I assume that the accommodation you would be requesting is not to have to be on-call?
I had replied once to this but it was right before the site was taken down for maintenance last week.

I'm not thinking the ADA would apply. However I am still concerned on how to approach the fact that I'm to take this medication in the evenings as required by the doctor and it affects my functioning severely.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">