• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Over payment of Retirement Monies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clwolf61

Two years ago I worked for a company out of Columbus Ohio, I live in Maryland. Last year I was paid a lump sum amount of money from a retirement fund, which I was told by this company it was do to me. I asked several times, over a period of a couple months, if in fact this was accurate since I no longer worked for them and I was told on more than one occation yes in fact it was mine free to spend as I chose. When receiving the money I called one more time just to make sure and once again assured. The money was pre taxed at about 25%. After receiving the money I filed taxes and was penalized heavily which caused a huge financial burden on my family. And now a year later the company contacted me and said they over paid me because they made a error and miscalculated and want a portion of the money back. I do not have the money they are asking for and do they have the right to do this after they already paid it out and I had paid taxes on it and I was assured it belonged to me? And they waited a year, they had more than enough time to catch their error. Its only $1300. but that is a lot for me.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">