• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Overtime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbc

What is the name of your state? Alabama

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question. Need help. I work on a government contract. We just went hourly. We were told that there is no overtime unless it is approved. We are a 24x7 operation. They are asking for volunteers to work another person's shift so they can take vacation. They said that the person who work's the shift will have to take a day off later in the week to keep from getting overtime. Since hourly is new to us need to know is it against the law to alter a person's work schedule to keep from paying them overtime? Any help will be much appreciated.

Beth3

"Since hourly is new to us need to know is it against the law to alter a person's work schedule to keep from paying them overtime?" Not at all. Your employer is free to arrange, rearrange, and alter your schedule as they please. If they wish to juggle things so nobody works more than 40 hours/week and thus avoid the cost of overtime, that is entirely up to them.

mbc

Does this apply to a government contract? I thought that if you are scheduled for a particular shift and then asked to work a different shift that you still work your shift?

Beth3

Since I haven't read the contract, how can I say for sure?

I find it extremely unlikely that a government contract would prohibit company management from exercising their rights to alter work schedules and avoid unnecessary overtime costs however. Besides, if that clause were in the contract, it could easily be a safety and health issue - employees could end up being required to work double shifts. Having a clause like that in the contract just doesn't make any sense for a variety of reasons.

K

krissep

Overtime Legality for Professionals

i have a question about overtime: I live in michigan & am a dental hygienist. all of our employees get comp time for working over 40 hrs. should we at least get time and a half or should we get paid time and a half? i've read that professionals are exempt. does that just mean the dentist, or are hygienists & assistants included in the exemption? thanks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

krissep said:
i have a question about overtime: I live in michigan & am a dental hygienist. all of our employees get comp time for working over 40 hrs. should we at least get time and a half or should we get paid time and a half? i've read that professionals are exempt. does that just mean the dentist, or are hygienists & assistants included in the exemption? thanks!

My response:

Krissep, please don't hijack other people's threads with your problems. Start your own thread.

IAAL

C

coosi

My response:

Krissep, please don't hijack other people's threads with your problems. Start your own thread.

IAAL
That was so civilized! I'm impressed ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">