• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Per Diem?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FINKY656

What is the name of your state?nevada
i am currently working as a contract employee...my contract states that i shall be paid $400/weekly per diem along with my paycheck...3 months ago, the company stopped paying me the per diem, with the stated reasons ranging from my residence is within 50 miles of the job site to it's against company policy...is there such a thing as a proximity qualifier on per diem payment? and since i have a signed contract, is it legal for them to discontinue payment? repeated e-mail contacts with my employers have been either ignored or summarily rebuffed...what are my options, in this instance?
am i even asking this question in the right place?

Last edited:

Beth3

Since this is a contract issue, you really need to ask this question of a lawyer. He/she will need to review the original contract to determine if the employer is allowed to change the conditions of the agreement without renegotiating the contract.

As a practical matter though, I can understand why the employer is objecting to paying a $400 per diem if the job site is within 50 miles of your home, since it's likely you return home each day rather than stay at a hotel. The question however is because they apparently didn't think of that when the original contract was signed, are they SOL? The other question is if you make a fuss about this, can they just cancel the contract and terminate your employment at will?

Only an attorney experienced in contract/business law can answer these questions after reading the contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">