• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

permanency vs. temporary disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moe15

What is the name of your state? NY

I was injured on the job in March of 2002 and continue to have back troubles, along with severe migraines as a result.
I am only 21 years old and have missed a lot of work already. I am concerned I may lose my job due to my restrictions and accomodations filed by my doctor.
When should I go for permanency? Will I have trouble getting it because it is a back injury and I am only 21? What do I need to prove for permanency other than time that I have been injured, and not recovering.

Also, if I use intermittent FMLA for my migraine condition and missing work, is workers comp responsible for reimbursing me for lost time?

tigger22472

Are you speaking of filing for disability through SS?

In my opinion you will have a very difficult time obtaining that. First off you have worked, via under restrictions. SSA doesn't care if after you are injuried you can maintain the same job.. only that you can maintain a job. Secondly and as wrong as it is.. your age will work against you.

Go to or call your local SSA office and ask for the paperwork for disability then let your doctor fill out his part. SS is a VERY VERY long process. Eventually you will be asked to go to on of THEIR doctors. They are the ones to determine if you get disability or not.

on a side note to let you know why and how I know what I know... My DH was 30 and broke his neck in five places. He is diagnosed as an 'incomplete quad' meaning that all four of his limbs were affected. He was not expected to walk and although he does he doesn't walk fully erect and he stomps. He can not sit, stand or lay for long periods of time and has 12 14mm screws in his neck. He can't open his hands fully and he has no temp. recepters from the chest down. It took him a year to get disability and that was very very quick by SS standards.

WC is another issue that I'm sure Beth or someone will come along and help you with.

moe15

not through them

through workers compensation.
I just want compensation to establish permanency of my disability so that I am covered if I get canned for not being able to perform all job duties necessary to stay employeed with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">