• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PTO for work related injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

valdeztr

What is the name of your state? CALIFORNIA
I hurt my back at work on Aug 6 and I reported it on Aug 10, then I had to wait until Aug 16 to see the doctor (I had to wait for a claim number to see the doctor) I went back to the doctor on the Aug 18 to get the x-ray results and was told that I need to have a CT, but needed authorization from the insurance co. so the doctor wants me to come back Friday the 20th. Is it legal for my employer's insurance co. to drag there feet with the authorizations, and is it legal for my employer to force me to use my PTO for the week that I will be off for a work related injury?

Beth3

You had to WAIT for a claim number??? That's really peculiar. If you'd sliced off your arm would you have had to wait for a claim number before going to the emergency room???

Who told you that and why? Your employer or the WC carrier?

On the PTO question, yes it's likely legal. Every State I know of has a waiting period mandated in State WC regulations before temporary total disability benefits begin. If yours is 7 calendar days (as is common, although some are less), it's not illegal for your employer to require you to use PTO/vacation time for that time.

moe15

In NY

My workers comp ins. has 30 days to give a written approval or denial for anything.
After it is established that the injury is in fact work related, and there are no disputes of that, you will have less of a problem getting authorizations for things.
You can call the insurance carrier yourself and ask them the status, they may be able to give you the auth. then, and save time.

V

valdeztr

My Hr person told me I had to wait for a claim number.Now they are saying if I do my phyical therapy that it will come out of my PTO time or unpaid. I just feel that I got hurt on the job that they should pay for all the time i miss because I'm going to the doctor because of them.

Do you know what is the limit of lifting pounds are?

Beth3 said:
You had to WAIT for a claim number??? That's really peculiar. If you'd sliced off your arm would you have had to wait for a claim number before going to the emergency room???

Who told you that and why? Your employer or the WC carrier?

On the PTO question, yes it's likely legal. Every State I know of has a waiting period mandated in State WC regulations before temporary total disability benefits begin. If yours is 7 calendar days (as is common, although some are less), it's not illegal for your employer to require you to use PTO/vacation time for that time.

Beth3

Do you know what is the limit of lifting pounds are? If you're asking whether there is some law that dictates the maximum amount of weight an indivdual can be required to lift, the answer is no.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">