• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Qualify for unemployment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jimnyc

What is the name of your state? New York

I apologize if thisis posted in the wrong forum. I couldn't find my answer on NY states dept. labor page. My wife recently had her employment terminated after 14 years of employment. Her company gave her a "pro-rated" Xmas bonus of 16k for this year and a severance package of 90k which will be spread out over the next 9 months. These were detailed in the seperation agreement she had to sign agreeing to confidentiality. Does she still qualify to file for unemployment until she can find new employment?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This is going to be extremely fact specific and answerable only by someone with inside knowledge of the NY state unemployment laws - in other words, by the state unemployment office. If you can't find the answer on the web page, pick up the phone and call them. Or just tell her to file a claim anyway - the worst that can happen is that she's denied.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">