• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reflex sympathetic distrophy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kari71

What is the name of your state? California

Hi, I was wondering if there is anyone on this board familiar with RSD, possibly living in CA and has dealt with WC due to this disease. For a bit of background, I broke my right foot while working (property management) immediately contacted supervisor and filed wc forms. I have never injured myself at work before in my life and feel like I need a book called "WC for Dummies". I have no clue how the entire process works and I believe my case is a unique one. Broke foot on 6/12/02, had surgery (tarsal tunnel release) on 12/5/02, still in severe pain and diagnosed with RSD in right lower extremity. Am currently in PT and is my 2nd try at it so I'm hoping it will help this time around. I have been off work since doi and am pretty sure I won't have a job with this company when my doctor releases me. Dr is afraid that if I try to work while still in so much pain and on meds that I could cause further injury and have to be careful with the rsd. I see pain management as well and recieving botox injection in right foot and nerve blocks in lumbar. I don't feel like I have gotten much better since shortly after the surgery and am really wondering what will happen next, whether or not I will ever be able to return to work, etc. Any help someone could give would be great. I have been told that rsd is a lifelong disease and could possibly spread. My attorney is hard to get ahold of, doesnt offer any info, and whenever I ask her what the next step is she just tells me to let her deal with it. I feel like I am kept in the dark and obviously my attorney doesn't really like to explain things. I know she isn't getting rich doing wc cases (that is the only law she does) so I'm sure she has many clients and not alot of time to spend on any particular client. I have thought about hiring a different attorney but she has been on this case since about 4 months after my injury and not totally sure that there would be any attorney that would answer my questions and don't want to just go from one attorney to another. I would welcome any advice or comments that someone here may be able to offer me. Thanks a bunch!

I am out of work on a comp injury that happened 6 years ago. I've worked on and off and because of the ongoing pain am still unable to work. So I understand where you are coming from. Has anyone talked to you about Vocation Rehabilitation? I would advise you to go to your attorneys office (make an appointment) and tell her that you need better communication from her as to what is going on regarding your claim. If she is unable to do so, find a new attorney. Regardless of how many clients she has, you still deserve professional attention.

K

kari71

Jenni,
Hi, thank you for replying... the only problem with making an appt with my attorney is that her office is about 150 miles away from me. I live in a tiny town near the Nevada border and her office is in Santa Ana, not an easy trip to make with my foot like it is. I try not to drive too far. There are very few attorneys in my little town but I am thinking of consulting with some attornies here. Does anyone know how it would work if I were to fire my attorney and hire a new one? Would my current attorney still get her 15% plus 15% for a new attorney? Any advice is welcome. Thanks all!

Generally no, both attornies would not get to share the settlement amount. But again, this would be something to discuss with your new attorney. If it is too far to go there, simply call her. (your current attorney) If you have to leave a message, do so, but let her know that you are thinking of hiring a new attorney due to her lack of communication with you regarding your claim.

V

Verrrynice

Hello and I am sorry you have RSD. I do as well and also from a work injury to the right foot that happened April 2000. I still have yet to return to work. The RSD spred to both legs from hips to bottom of my feet and to my left arm. I finally had to get a morphine pump to take half the pain away.

Do make sure you get an atty that KNOWS and has WON cases for RSD victims. Mine did not and when it came to settlement time I lost out big time.

I will probably never be able to work again and am living off of the small settlement I did get and I have to pay for all my own medical and medications as well. At this rate I will be out of settlement money in no time at all.

Seek out and interview several lawyers before YOU make up your mind who you want to place the rest of your life with. As RSD can be a life long pain in the rear. It is very expensive to treat. My medications alone are over $1,000 a month and my morphine pump refills every 85 days is $1252.

Take it from experience do not gamble with an inexperienced lawyer when it comes to RSD.

Good luck and hope you can one day be pain free.

K

kari71

That is the only good point I have found so far about my current attorney and that is her knowledge of RSD (or so she says) yet I dont understand why she would be in a big hurry to settle my case if she REALLY understands rsd. I'm sorry to hear you are having to live with this terrible disease as well. Right now I guess I am lucky to also have our insurance through the military as my husband is in the Army. They have been covering my medication for now (wc takes too long to approve my meds so the military said they would pay for them) but, they have not and I fear will not ever pay for any of my treatments as they know this is a work injury. Verrrynice, have you tried a spinal cord stimulator? My pain mngt doc has recommended it to me, but I'm too scared that it will cause my rsd to spread. Anyway, I would like to hear more from you as you are the first person I have talked to that has dealt with rsd in a workers comp situation. Thank you for you advice!! Hope you are having a pain free weekend!

V

Verrrynice

I did have a trial SCS Spinal Cord Stim, HATED it right from the start. Felt like I was stradling an electric fence. Shocked to the core with each and every move.

It would either stop working or increase the shocks when I would move my head or coughed. I had my reservations about doing the trial at first because of the horror stories I had heard. But figured everyone with RSD is different and I was willing to try anything to ease the burn and pain. But the SCS was not the ticket for me. I could only stand it for a week and made them take it out.

I have had my life somewhat restored with the morphine pump, even that was not without problems but I am walking again after 27 months not being able to. I thank God and my pain Doctor for the pump nearly every day.

Have you researched out the SCS and have you went to the RSD message boards to read what others are saying about their treatments?

Good Luck and stay pain free

K

kari71

Thank you so much for the link! I have been reading it and gotten tons of great info! I also joined the board and have met some really great people! Thank you again!!
Kari

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">