• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Released from my employer before WC case was settled.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

UnemployedInIL

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I was injured at work in May of 2002. I required spinal fusion (neck) surgery in August of 2003. My employer said they could not hold my job open for longer than a year and they let me go. I received my WC settlement in August of this year, but used what little I got for paying off all my debts I got so far behind in, due to WC's untimely payment schedule. I have been searching for work for the past 2 months, with no results. I am unable to return to my previous occupation due to restrictions from my surgery. Therefore, everything I apply for, I am way over-qualified for. The WC Physician released me to return to the same occupation at FULL DUTY, but my Orthopedic Surgeon has restricted my lifting to no more than 8 lbs., therefore, I am unable to assist patients. My bills are getting farther and farther behind again, because I have been unable to secure a job. Can I collect Unemployment Insurance AFTER being on Workmans Comp or is there something you can suggest?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You can certainly apply for unemployment. Whether you will be eligible or not will depend on your state laws and the exact circumstances. I don't know the law in your state but I can't think of any reason, based on the limited information in your post, why you wouldn't be eligible.

U

UnemployedInIL

cbg...Thank you for your reply. That's what I thought, but wondered if maybe someone out there might know the law for Illinois before I stand in line for 8 hours, just to be denied...lol! Thanks Again! UnemployedInIL

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Why do you have to stand in line? In my state, you can apply over the phone or on-line.

U

UnemployedInIL

cbg...THANX! I didn't think of looking up in search for forms to apply. It's been a LONG time since I was on Umployment. We used to have to stand in line for hours on end and turn in forms of the locations we applied and who we spoke to. Have to check to see if Illinois is that technically advanced yet...lol! Thanx again!

U

UnemployedInIL

cbg...Well, as I figured, I can't apply online for Unemployment. I guess it's off to the herding line for me...lol! Thanx for your help!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Did you try calling them? My state only started doing on-line forms within the last year or so, but we've been able to apply over the phone for about ten years.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">