• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reopening workmans comp claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Meangreen

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin, I have not worked in two years because of injuries suffered on the job. I have applied for SSD because my healing period has been up for over a year and I receive no income. My question is can I reopen my workmans comp claim from a previous injury because I took a compromise agreement on the one that has me disabled now and chose to drop future claims on that one but can I reopen the first and how would I proceed? Thank you.

Last edited:

Beth3

If you accepted a compromise agreement, that almost certainly means the claim was closed for good. You may contact the employer and/or the WC carrier to discuss the status of your claim but it is quite unlikely you can reopen the claim.

M

Meangreen

This reply is for Beth3, I think you misunderstood my question, The last on the job injury was closed because I excepted a compromise agreement, I have a earlier injury thats also preventing me from working that's the injury I'd like to know if I'm able to reopen and how would I proceed, I have no income coming in...........Thank you.

Beth3

Without knowing the status of the claim for the first injury, it's impossible to advise you. If some time has passed with no activity on the claim, you can assume it's been closed. You really are going to have to contact the employer or the WC carrier to ask about reopening the claim or establishing a new one.

You haven't given any specific time frames here but from your posts, I'm guessing it's been at least a couple of years since the first injury and perhaps longer. You can anticipate you will have a fight on your hands.

M

Meangreen

reopening workmans comp claim

Beth3 thank you for the reply, The first injury occured in 1998 and I'm under the assumption that should stay active or open for 15 years in the state of Wisconsin and if so how would I go about reopening it because Im still experiencing problems due to that injury , I have nerve damage. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">