• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Returning to work after an injury

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

richg55

Hey folks! I live in Portland, OR and work for a national grocery chain. Until last June, I was a scratch baker in their bakery dept. I was having health problems, which my doctor, after some tests, found that I was allergic to live yeast. I had to resign my position and moved over to the meat dept. My company’s workers comp. Ins. provider had me go see another doctor. He found that I wasn't allergic to yeast. I've thought of appealing, but it seemed better if I didn't. I've asked for my job back, since one of the other bakers is leaving. My company doesn't want me to return to my old job. The reason is money. I was making $12.58/hr as a baker, but they only are paying me $11.50/hr in the meat dept. I realize that this is over the 80%, which they can offer, but it's not enough. What rights do I have to get my job back? I don't care about going back to the bakery, I just want the money. Is there a way I can get them to pay me the higher wage and still stay in the meat dept? I also think I made a bad mistake! While I was on workers comp, the ins. company was supplementing my income. A week before they told me that my claim was denied, my employer had me sign a form to transfer to the meat dept at the lower wage. I wanted to wait until the final doctors report, but they said that if I didn't, they would have to hire someone else and I would have to find my own job somewhere else with the company. I didn't see any choice. If I didn't sign, there was a good chance I could have lost any benefits at all. Was this the wrong thing to do? Is there any way to undo this in the light of the new info? Thanks for your help!

Beth3

What rights do I have to get my job back? None.

I don't care about going back to the bakery, I just want the money. Is there a way I can get them to pay me the higher wage and still stay in the meat dept? No.

A week before they told me that my claim was denied, my employer had me sign a form to transfer to the meat dept at the lower wage. I wanted to wait until the final doctors report, but they said that if I didn't, they would have to hire someone else and I would have to find my own job somewhere else with the company. I didn't see any choice. If I didn't sign, there was a good chance I could have lost any benefits at all. Was this the wrong thing to do? No. Your employer was free to transfer you to a different job based upon the medical information your doctor provided.

Is there any way to undo this in the light of the new info? No. You can't unring a bell.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">