• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

rights of deceased employee

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trimuser

Dear advisor,

I have a small registered organization with 5 employees. Sadly one of them met with an accident on his journey to hometown last week and deceased on the spot. He is a trainee (as per the offer letter). Now his brother called me and asking for his work experience and salary slips. I have no issues in providing them. However I am little scared if the guy can approach court and file a case.

I want to know if there any law favoring the deceased employee or his family in such cases. We have been paying him the salary on time, without fail. Also we are planning to give some amount to his family from company side. Please advice me what safe steps need to be taken to avoid legal issues, if any.

Thanks
Trim.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Dear advisor,

I have a small registered organization with 5 employees. Sadly one of them met with an accident on his journey to hometown last week and deceased on the spot. He is a trainee (as per the offer letter). Now his brother called me and asking for his work experience and salary slips. I have no issues in providing them. However I am little scared if the guy can approach court and file a case.

I want to know if there any law favoring the deceased employee or his family in such cases. We have been paying him the salary on time, without fail. Also we are planning to give some amount to his family from company side. Please advice me what safe steps need to be taken to avoid legal issues, if any.

Thanks
Trim.
I don't believe you are in the US; this site deals with US law ONLY. That's why every new post asks the name of the US state. :cool:

FlyingRon

I'd not divulge anything without a court order. Even a court-appointed executor likely has no authorization for that information other than to inquire if all the paychecks that were supposed to be paid got distributed/deposited in the employees account and to request replacement (made out to the estate) of any that got lost in the shuffle.

Believe me, it is unfortunate. I've lost three employees over the course of 23 years of running a business.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">