• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

short & sweet CA equal pay working for a non-profit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

xogy

California

I work for a non-profit organization running after school programs. There are other people with my exact job title, exact responsibilities, and exact work standards which earn 50% more than I do. The organization's response is that due to budget cuts, my job position has been split between into two. As a result, myself and another person earn half of what everyone else makes. Think of those popsicles that break in half, everyone gets their own popsicle, except me and someone else have to share one. The organization states this decisions was made due to budget cuts through the entire organization. However, they have not communicated ANYTHING in regards to what will be expected from working 20 hours per week instead of 40. I am doing the same job, meeting the same standards and only being paid for 20 hours per week. This change in hours and change in pay was given to me exactly 3.15 days prior to the effective date.

*Important notes*

As an after school program, funding heavily relies on students' attendance. Because of low attendance, the position was reduced to a from full time salary down to 30hr/week position, which was understandable. That was the direct result of low attendance.

Now because of budget cuts, the organization decided to reduce my hours from 30 down to 20 per week, and has not communicated any changes in the expectations.

To make up for the loss of wages, the organization has agreed to pay me for 10 hours of work at a reduced rate of $12/hr in addition to my 20 hours at the administrator's rate of $16/hr. So, I work 30 hours per week (20 admin + 10 entry level)

I am a non-exempt employee. There is no union representation

OHRoadwarrior

It appears you are no longer the same as other workers. You are a part time employee, with variable job duties. You can choose to find another job.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If your question is, has the employer done anything illegal, the answer is no, they have not.

If that is not the question, please clarify.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">