• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short term and long term disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Last year I had a nervous breakdown. During that year I was seeing a private threrapist for depression and anxiety. During my employment I was very tardy for work due to my illness and was subsequently laid off. After my layoff I fell into a deep depression and could not get out of bed or function properly to maintain my bills, or personal upkeep. I then could not afford my therapist and went months without moving from my home. I eventually lost my home, my possessions and became homeless. Thankfully, I am a Veteran and began receiving care from the Veterans Administration. I have since been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder II, anxiety disorder, and PTSD. I am on medication and receiving proper psychiatric care. Now, that I am semi-functional and attempting to piece my life back I discovered that I was covered by group short and long term disabilty insurance. I am attempting to file for this based upon my diagnosis and illness that started during employment. Will I encounter any obstacles to this filing. I have oustanding therapist notes from my private therapist and from my attending psychologist and psychiatrist at the Veterans Adminstration. Any help before I file would be greatly benefitial!

thanks

lya

Usually, there is a time-limit in which you must file for benefits and there are criteria that must be met in order to qualify.

Your policy will state the requirements for filing for benefits. Check your policy.

I doubt you will qualify to file for these benefits as your absences and tardies were not physician approved or physician ordered at the time of these occurrences. It never hurts to check, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">