• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short version

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmefoc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

Good evening!

I wrote out a LOOOONG story, all the details, and when I went to post, i wasnt logged in.. durrr

Anyways, the short story (as promised)

1) There are 2 companies within my building, A- owns building b- i work for.

2) was working mandatory OT on saturday, when going to break, I went to open the elevator door, which i guess has a 1 second delay.

3) my shoulder didnt like the 1 second delay when I pulled attempting to open the door, and my shoulder popped. Increasingly severe pain since

4) requested from hr info on how to get a doc visit.. gave me an email address to send what happened, to.

5) requested company a facilities put a sign up, so i do not do again.. 2 days later, still no sign

6) 2 days and no response from the benefits email, on what action to take.. pain getting worse.

options?

Thanks guys/gals!

llc

quincy

Good evening, dmefoc.

Someone should be by to answer your question soon, but perhaps you can clear a few things up first.

You injured your shoulder two days ago and you have not been to see a doctor yet?

And you want a sign posted on the elevator to remind you (and I assume others) that there is a one-second delay?

Last edited:

dmefoc

I actually injured it Saturday, and I do not carry insurance.

Yes, I've requested a sign be put up. It's still not there

dmefoc

No, they certainly don't have to. But considering premise liability laws in Iowa, they probably should

:)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
No, they certainly don't have to. But considering premise liability laws in Iowa, they probably should

:)
You mean...to keep some idiot from walking in to a closed door? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Or maybe to keep some idiot from not being patient enough for an elevator door to open? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

dmefoc

While I'm always a fan of humor, I'm also a fan of correct humor, unfortunately yours doesn't fall into that category. The door is a door you pull, andhasn't always had a delay on it. I'm not sure where you get walking into an elevator door from?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
While I'm always a fan of humor, I'm also a fan of correct humor, unfortunately yours doesn't fall into that category. The door is a door you pull, andhasn't always had a delay on it. I'm not sure where you get walking into an elevator door from?
Perhaps you ought to not yank willy-nilly on doors.

dmefoc

[HR][/HR]

While I appreciate your willingness to read this thread, I have to wonder, are there 45k posts just a baseless and assuming on this forum as the 2 you've posted on this thread?

I think if you were 1/100th as intelligent as you are trying to appear, then you may surpass hawking on any IQ chart.

Just a friendly observation

tranquility

Unless they are self-insured, don't they have to post where and how to get benefits if injured? If you're getting more pain, start being more assertive to getting the help you need. Are they arguing about if worker's compensation is implicated?

As to the sign, doors sometimes don't open. Even doors on elevators. Don't pull so hard. Most owner liability is to make safe, perhaps through warning, latent dangers. That a door doesn't open when you pull is a patent danger.

Walls are solid-don't run into them.
Floors are hard-don't fall down.
Water is wet-don't try to breathe when drinking from the fountain.
Paper towels sometimes don't come out of the holder easily-pull carefully when wiping.
Toilet bowl is bigger than your bottom, check to see if the seat is down before sitting.

Now, some might find those dangers obvious. Others, maybe not. However, I have not put up any of those signs in my office. It's a risk I'm willing to take to have a jury decide if they are patent or not. But, since worker's comp is not designed to only compensate when the business is at fault, no worries.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Just to be sure, they have no legal obligation to post a sign that there is a one-second delay before the door opens; you have no legal recourse if they do not; I very much doubt that failure to notify of a one-second delay will put any liability on them no matter how stringent the laws are.

Stop relying on emails. Use the phone. If you're in the same building as HR, better yet walk yourself down to see them.

dmefoc

I hope for your sake, you're not an attorney. Not only are you wrong, but not even on the close side of it. Moderators, feel free to delete this thread. I was experimenting with your "experts". No more assistance needed :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Put your money where your mouth is. Post the statutes, or links thereto, that say we're wrong.

tranquility

I hope for your sake, you're not an attorney. Not only are you wrong, but not even on the close side of it. Moderators, feel free to delete this thread. I was experimenting with your "experts". No more assistance needed :)
Said the man who does not know doors work.

dmefoc

Money where my mouth is? Ok. I have $4300 in my Paypal ($4,317.55) to be exact.

Care to make a wager?

I'll wait here patiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">