• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I be compensated for missed days of work?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dogwatcher

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was recently injured at work. More specifically, I was bitten by a dog. I work at a dog boarding/daycare facility and was bitten on my left hand when trying to help my supervisor subdue a dog that was thrashing around and going nuts. The main part of the injury was a gash on the web between my thumb and index finger. It was mostly superficial, but I still needed to go to the hospital.

My fiance drove me to the hospital. While there the doctors closed the wound with surface sutures and prescribed me 5 days worth of antibiotics. Because of this incident, I have missed 3 full days of work (2 of the days were requested by the doctors and I have that documentation). I am not familiar with workman's comp. or what I do and don't qualify for. So here are my questions:

Should I receive a full day's pay for the day I was injured? They informed me to clock out before I left for the hospital, but I am wondering if I should receive a full day's wages.

Should I be compensated for any of the days I missed work? Again, two of those days I was instructed to take off by the doctor because I was unable to use that hand and the sutures couldn't get wet or dirty. The third day I was forced to take off because my entire arm was practically unusable (a combination of the bite and tetanus shot) and the antibiotics made me require a restroom to be near me at all times and with my job that wouldn't have been possible.

Any answers to these questions are very appreciated.

W

Willlyjo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was recently injured at work. More specifically, I was bitten by a dog. I work at a dog boarding/daycare facility and was bitten on my left hand when trying to help my supervisor subdue a dog that was thrashing around and going nuts. The main part of the injury was a gash on the web between my thumb and index finger. It was mostly superficial, but I still needed to go to the hospital.

My fiance drove me to the hospital. While there the doctors closed the wound with surface sutures and prescribed me 5 days worth of antibiotics. Because of this incident, I have missed 3 full days of work (2 of the days were requested by the doctors and I have that documentation). I am not familiar with workman's comp. or what I do and don't qualify for. So here are my questions:

Should I receive a full day's pay for the day I was injured? They informed me to clock out before I left for the hospital, but I am wondering if I should receive a full day's wages.

Should I be compensated for any of the days I missed work? Again, two of those days I was instructed to take off by the doctor because I was unable to use that hand and the sutures couldn't get wet or dirty. The third day I was forced to take off because my entire arm was practically unusable (a combination of the bite and tetanus shot) and the antibiotics made me require a restroom to be near me at all times and with my job that wouldn't have been possible.

Any answers to these questions are very appreciated.
In California, you can receive lost wage compensation after being off work for 3 days. If you are off 14 days due to your injury, you will be reimbursed for the 3 day waiting period. It is not required but usually the employer will pay you a full day's wages if you leave work before the shift ends due to a work related injury.

Last edited:

pattytx

Since you mentioned "clocking out", I assume you are nonexempt? Did you go to the doctor at the time of the injury at the direction of your employer?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">