• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

should I sue the college

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

liugunn

I am a postdoc at Albert College of Medicine. This morning, a lamp cover dropped and broke my head when an electrician was trying to change the lamp in the lab. Should I sue the college in this case? And what should I do now?

Thanks,

Peter

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am a postdoc at Albert College of Medicine. This morning, a lamp cover dropped and broke my head when an electrician was trying to change the lamp in the lab. Should I sue the college in this case? And what should I do now?

Thanks,

Peter
It broke your head? Really? And you're here to post about it?

What are your damages? (ie: Injuries)

Proserpina

Thanks,

Peter

Dear lord I'd hope if you're at med school you'd know better than to use the term "broke my head". Assuming you didn't omit a word, anyway.

Now seriously - what are your damages?

As to what you should do right now - get your head examined.

liugunn

"Broke" means a 1/2 inch cut and blooding a lot. I went to the occupational health center of the university and asked them to clean the wound. Now it doesn't blood any more and I don't seem to have cerebral concussion symptom.

Peter

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
"Broke" means a 1/2 inch cut and blooding a lot. I went to the occupational health center of the university and asked them to clean the wound. Now it doesn't blood any more and I don't seem to have cerebral concussion symptom.

Peter
You can ask the college to pay your medical bills.
You also might want to go back for a refund on some of the english classes you attended in the past...

Some Random Guy

Karma's a bitch. If you become a medical doctor then you will have to deal with patients like yourself - people who will sue you at the drop of a hat (or light). They will come after you for your deep pockets, regarding even the slightest mistake on your part as a winning lottery ticket.

Did you suffer any damages? A cut, a scratch, some dust in your hair, a caved in skull?
What has the university said to you about the incident? Do they even know?

proud_parent

Albert College of Medicine seems to be the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York. I could be wrong.
Or it could be University of Alberta College of Medicine in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. (Which might explain why OP didn't include the name of the state.)

Dave1952

I think Ms. PattyTx is on the right track. A post-doctoral fellow is an employee of the University. This is a workman's comp case. He should have gone to the clinic or ER where employees go for minor injuries. The lab supervisor should have made sure that he was taken care of at University expense and filled out an accident report. Et c.

Good luck

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Maybe. I work for a major university. We have what we classify as "internal post docs" (employees) and "external post docs" (not employees). The former is a larger group than the latter, but the latter is still significantly sized.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">