• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

slip and fall on ice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomcriv53

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois

My mom works at a hospital in Illinois. She slipped and fell on ice in a parking garage after leaving work. She was clocked out; however she did fall in the parking garage which she is instructed to park in by the hospital. Also, she was recently told that the parking garage isnt actually owned my the hospital itself. Anyway, she ended up breaking her ankle badly, requiring surgery and a lengthy recovery. Is this a workman's comp or disability situation? Is the hospital liable to hold her job for more than 12 weeks? She is worried about a lot of these issues and isnt sure how it will play out.
Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Illinois

My mom works at a hospital in Illinois. She slipped and fell on ice in a parking garage after leaving work. She was clocked out; however she did fall in the parking garage which she is instructed to park in by the hospital. Also, she was recently told that the parking garage isnt actually owned my the hospital itself. Anyway, she ended up breaking her ankle badly, requiring surgery and a lengthy recovery. Is this a workman's comp or disability situation? Is the hospital liable to hold her job for more than 12 weeks? She is worried about a lot of these issues and isnt sure how it will play out.
Thanks
The person responsible for the ice would be the one to contact. Of course, most of us never actually HEAR an answer from Him...but answer do come in other ways...

pattytx

Does she HAVE disability insurance already in place?

Actually, the owner of the parking garage may have some liability here. She should contact them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Does she HAVE disability insurance already in place?

Actually, the owner of the parking garage may have some liability here. She should contact them.
Fair enough...Our OP didn't give nearly enough information to determine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">